1:1 Revi-12C/D Gunsight

Rick K

Tail Boom's 1:1 resin Revi-12 gunsight will provide me with an all resin project clearly testing my skill-sets.  I purchased this in 2016.  This was a very limited run and to my knowledge are very hard to find.

h(edited)_C8FEAF23-F6A9-411F-8628-D92DF19

37C85E54-5537-4EED-A4EC-66B66E52063C_1_2

A little over 2 dozen parts. Lots of cleaning pour stubs and flash. 

1A1C83F7-1010-4867-BBCD-0307691D5A46.hei

Sunglass support opening up mounting holes with a 1/8" drill.  Provided part to fit is 5mm rod and the opening needs some work.  I do not have 5mm drill so I used 1/8" drill as I also have 1/8" rod.  Hand turned so not to break the part.

29C975AB-6C65-44D0-A2F4-84C7BA7DC710.hei

Lens holder will need opening to allow the lens to fit.

0052A703-2E84-4D92-ACD6-8E46DF5CAC2E.hei

Using my Dremel tool I carefully opened up the lens opening.  A dampened towel laid out collects all resin debris and dust

D5B3B0B1-9042-4B62-B192-5866BB3FA2F3.hei

Perfect lens fit achieved.

7DEF90C1-3A1D-412F-A516-FB6B70C6E86D_1_2

Pour stub removal on main body.

5472CE47-212C-4569-BC86-5808166D5D8C.hei

Pad support locator opening is enhanced with 1/8" opening

15BBD296-101D-45B2-924D-488856EF4B86.hei

Pad support locator pin on main body is removed and drilled 1/8" opening.

3AECB2C2-7AE5-4B79-BCFB-3DCA1F333222.hei

1/8" rod inserted and the pad support is fitted yielding a firm fit.

D0F24AF9-DADB-4055-B623-35406A5BA673.hei

Crash pad dry fitted.  All good.

1E799D03-504F-437A-9D46-DE716E6F4082.hei

Glass holder, lens and crash pad dry dry fit is encouraging.

I am learning this build process takes "test fitting" to new level.  Gets redundant at times, but very necessary.

Edited by Rick K

16 hours ago, rigor said:

Very cool I would replace the screw heads with real screws but that's me also be cool if you could light up the site some how 

Possibility of replacing screw heads does exist.   TBD

Not sure about a light.  Certainly giving it some thought. 

Cool project.   It's interesting that when you look at all those pics of abandoned Luftwaffe fighters at the end of WW2, not a single one has the gunsight present.   Those sights must have been priority one for the GI's that captured the bases.    Still have a pipe dream that I'll go to a yard / estate sale one day and see a Revi sitting there with a $5 price tag because the owner has no idea what the thing even is.  

1 hour ago, John1 said:

Cool project.   It's interesting that when you look at all those pics of abandoned Luftwaffe fighters at the end of WW2, not a single one has the gunsight present.   Those sights must have been priority one for the GI's that captured the bases.    Still have a pipe dream that I'll go to a yard / estate sale one day and see a Revi sitting there with a $5 price tag because the owner has no idea what the thing even is.  

Very true.   :rolleyes:

Those GI's came home with all kinds of "War Trophies".  I remember NASM was looking to fabricate a FuG220 for their He219.  There is a video of a GI walking away with an FuG220 over his shoulder.  We all suspected the array made it to his hunting cabin back in the states. 

My Dad WWII vet, USN 44-46 TF58, came home with all kinds of "stuff" including many 20mm, .50 cal bullets.  I found these in this office boxed up (with many interesting objects) after he passed.  Every bullet was "live".  I had them all "neutralized" by a gunsmith.

I picked up a Tail Boom Revi-16B resin model kit at a yard sale about 10 years ago with an amazing price tag on it.  My regret was selling the Revi-16on eBay for an amazing price soon after as I already had the Revi12 and Barr & Stroud sights.  Sure wished I'd kept the Revi-16.

On 1/10/2024 at 7:36 AM, Biggles87 said:

It would certainly make an interesting conversation piece for your coffee table.

John

We have a 90lb very loveable, smart, well trained chocolate Labrador.   Coffee Table + Tail.  You do the math.  :)

Will have some type of acrylic display case fabricated for this.  Perhaps locate an acrylic case of appropriate size at a sports memorabilia store.

18 minutes ago, Biggles87 said:

We have a 10 month old 35kg (77lb) Golden Retriever who is not yet fully trained so nothing is left below chest height.

John

GR is such a great breed.  Love them.  Yup, I remember those early months. 

I'm just a tad partial to Labs.  Our Lab just turned 3.  My brother has 2 GR.  Fun times.

• 3 weeks later...

Sunglass Mount assembly is going to be tricky.

SunglassMount.01.jpeg

Think resin with no mounting pins and very mild attach points.

SunglassMount.02.jpeg

So its a return visit to my kids' LEGOS.  I make a jig.  I taped a thin piece of stryene sheet to the right to secure a nice firm fit.

SunglassMount.03.jpeg

The base is secured then the sides are nested in the jig. 

SunglassMount.04.jpeg

I carefully place 3 dots of CA to secure the sides to the main plate.

SunglassMount.05.jpeg

After full CA cure I mix 15 minute epoxy and draw a bead along the seam on the sides and main plate.  Walk away for over night cure.

SunglassMount.06.jpeg

The sides are nice good fit on the main Sunglass Plate.

Edited by Rick K