Spitfire Mk1. Differences between Mid and Late

P1050810-2.jpg                            The device itself was a rotating 6 chamber magazine that fired a similar cartridge that had been carried in the flare pistol rack in the cockpit seat. Triggered via a Bowden trigger pull mounted to the port side of the cockpit. I have photos somewhere but will have to hunt for them.

Edited by 19squadron
addition of pic

On 12/26/2023 at 4:37 PM, 19squadron said:

Oh there are lots of errors in the design of the Kotare Kit - have looked at the shape of the DeHavilland blade compared to a real blade? The kit blade is very poor, and so much else..

Hi @19squadron. Whilst I do take note of the potential discrepancies you mention, I have a different view on the DeHavilland propeller shape: having compared the kit part at the same angle as the photograph on pages 15, 20 and 21 on 32001 kit’s instructions, I find that the blade shape looks about right to these eyes. 

Thank you however for your input to the discussion.

Kind regards,

Paul

16 hours ago, Archimedes said:

Hi @19squadron. Whilst I do take note of the potential discrepancies you mention, I have a different view on the DeHavilland propeller shape: having compared the kit part at the same angle as the photograph on pages 15, 20 and 21 on 32001 kit’s instructions, I find that the blade shape looks about right to these eyes. 

Thank you however for your input to the discussion.

Kind regards,

Paul

Hello Paul

Thankyou for your very polite reply to an earlier comment I made about the Kotare Kit De Havilland propellor. As someone who spends his life, and professional life looking at shapes, looking to understand shape and making things, there is absolutely no doubt in my mind that the Kotare kit has flaws and the de Havilland prop is one good example of poor observation and design in this kit. I can illustrate that with photographs.

I should say that many kits, many many 1/32 kits have badly designed propellors which are a poor representation of the blades on the aircraft they seek to depict, however Henri Daehne did some beautiful replacement props for German 1/32 aircraft 10-15 years ago which I thought had changed the game a bit. Certainly, after Henri made these transformative, to a kit, pieces, Eduard upped their game both with the kit props they produced, and for instance, their Spitfire MkI de Havilland prop is not perfect, but it's very very good, but they also in response to the interest Henri's work created and started releasing Brassin resin props for their German kits. WNW did a decent job with their Kit props, so I thought that things were definitely on the up with kit manufacturers after Henri made such a seminal change with his beautiful work. Sadly that is not the case with the Kotare kit which is an example of very poor observation and design in this kit in my view.

Is your post here an invitation to illustrate the issues?

kind regards

Edited by 19squadron

Fw190-A-904.jpg                                                                                                                             Here is an example if the exquisite and game changing work that Henri made, and that I had thought had caused manufacturers to up their game, certainly Eduard have as a result of Henri's efforts.

Edited by 19squadron
addition of pic

Hi  @19squadron

This dicussion is getting interesting.
I think it would be much more useful if you could show it here with convincing comparative pictures or drawings. If this is proven, maybe you will push some aftermarket manufacturers, I don't know if there are any AF manufacturers reading these lines. Or can it be forwarded to them here?

Thanks

The Kotare is too heavy at the shank relative to the Chord.

the widest part of the curve on the trailing edge is much too high, and the long straight trailing edge from the tip to the widest part of the chord on the trailing edge [which contrasts with the much more symmetrical curve of the leading edge] is missing.

the edge of the leading edge follows the sweep of the leading edge curve and crosses the blade at the shank end before the shank end becomes round to fit into the hub, which is not represented at all on the Kotare kit part.

The kit prop is crude and has none of the quality of a real blade.

Edited by 19squadron