Duke Hawkins Classics: Hawker Hurricane

Nic C.D.

Just a quick post to announce the third book in our Duke Hawkins Classic series: a 116 page book on the Hawker Hurricane, showing every part of the aircraft. I'm using the content at the moment to build the Revell 1/32 scale kit.  

ccb49f7c-7c29-4ee9-9bf7-9cb0ebbaa1aa.jpg

For those that are interested, this book will be released in about 3 weeks. We're also preparing a 1/32 scale decal sheet for the Hurricane with 3 liveries:

- A Belgian Air Force Hurricane Mk.II in silver with registration THS52

- An RAF Hurricane Mk.IIB "Mauritius VII" from 174 Squadron, with white stripes on the engine cowling

- An RAF Hurricane Mk.IIC "Jessie" MW367 from 1697 Flight, the Air Dispatch Letter Service, one of the few that carried D-Day stripes.

The idea to make the decals was more of a fun thing to do and only 150 will be made in 1/32.

Nic

Hello Kevin,

Well, of the Mk.V there was only one built and 2 converted from a Mk.IV. I don't think one survived. Other marks are in the book though, with some attention to the Sea Hurricane as well. It was fun making this book, with several visits to the hangar of the Battle of Britain Memorial Flight, when maintenance was being carried out on their Hurricane. Many photos were also taken in Belgium of Hurricane Mk.IV with registration KZ321, when it was in maintenance. Unfortunately, just weeks after our visit, the aircraft was destroyed in a horrible crash in the Czech Republic.

For the cockpit, we have also 10 pages of photos, both of airworthy and historical aircraft, showing the correct colours and instrument lay-outs. Philip Stevens, a very talented photographer had the chance to make photos of the aircraft in the air, resulting in some very spectacular photos. The maintenance chapter is quite impressive in this book: 18 pages of details uncovered!

Nic

Hello Ali,

Because there will only be very few decal sets, they will be available from just 4 points: Hannant's, Aviation Megastore, Artscale and from us. These should be available in about 1 month. 

In our usual series, there will be 2 more (and quite spectacular) book before the end of the year!

Nic

Great will keep a look out. As you know I have quite a lot of your books, so will add some more if they fall into my interest range, which is very wide as it is.

We need to communicate again, but off the message board. All the best with the book production.

Well, that is a very nice review, Bill. Thank you for that! I have to say that the F-5 book was really fun to make. The trouble I often face is the number of pages. It wouldn't be a problem to make a book of 200 or 250 pages, but that would make it too expensive to print. And I agree with you that there are many more aircraft that should feature in the series. We're working on that!

The photos for the F-5 book helped me to detail a Kitty Hawk 1/32 scale kit though:

1d3a9449-9c20-40c6-85e0-4d1dfc0c4808.jpg

Nic

• 2 weeks later...

I could be very interested in your book Nic since I have one Hurricane on the go at the moment and anticipate doing another two next year (PCM early and Revell II)....maybe three if Kotare release one.  Is there a price....and any chance of a couple of sample pages to seal the deal?

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/29/2023 at 4:40 PM, Nic C.D. said:

You ask and we provide

Indeed.
How about a Duke Hawkins’ take on the Westland Sea King to pair with the excellent Airfix 1/48 release?
I know someone who would be REALLY interested especially when he’s located near Koksijde, the former home of the Belgian MK.48 :P