Focke-Wulf FW 190 F-8 - 6./SG 10 - Revell 1/32

Furie

Merci Mike et fab. :)

There's no way of closing the 2 fuselage halves without completing the well landing gear, engine accessories and tailwheel.
So BB'ing in series: black + white + RLM 02 + gloss varnish + dirt and ageing effects, then matte and satin varnish depending on the parts treated.
Surprisingly, MRP varnishes straight out of the pot work very well with a 0.2 nozzle and low pressure.
The final appearance of these varnishes is excellent, with a slight preference for the MRP-126 satin varnish, which is absolutely perfect.

But why didn't I use more of these MRP varnishes before, instead of mixing paint and varnish brands like an idiot???
On the subject of incompatible varnishes and paints, I'm really a low-watt bulb...

But it's too late to complain and I'm moving on, considering this an (unfortunate) experience but one that will serve me well in the future...

I improved the well landing gear a little with soldering tin wire and made an electrical strand (yellow) by twisting 4 strands of wire.
I'll now be able to join the 2 fuselage halves and glue the 2 upper half-wings to them, so as to have a minimum of adjustment to do, then glue the lower wing.
Then glue the motor and engine cowl.

463i.jpg

b5qi.jpg

2ne9.jpg

0joh.jpg

lc55.jpg

d1h6.jpg

9ow2.jpg

6v0h.jpg

a7lm.jpg

Edited by Furie

16 hours ago, Furie said:

... I'm moving on, considering this an (unfortunate) experience but one that will serve me well in the future...

Yep, there's alot of learning going on in this hobby and you're getting very good at it Denis.  :thumbsup: Nice work.

• 2 weeks later...

Quick question before you do anything stupid: I'm putting the finishing touches to this FW 190 and the paint job isn't far off.
This aircraft will have its underwing RLM 76/aluminium (MRP for these 2 paints).
What do you recommend for the paint order?
1-Paint the RLM 76 and then paint the aluminum?
2-Paint the aluminum, mask it and then paint the RLM 76? 
3-It doesn't matter.

Edited by Furie

Update with fuselage complete, flaps glued closed and rivet engraving almost complete, except for the engine cowl.

This will be done once all 11 (!!!) pieces (that make up the engine cowl) are glued together.
It's still going to be a lot of fun, I can tell...
So far, the assembly isn't as complicated as I'd feared, but I'm taking it really slowly.

I'm even thinking of gluing all these engine cowl parts together with white wood glue, so as to be able to adjust the assembly for the better, and eventually leave myself the possibility of moving them in relation to each other to get a "fluid", aerodynamic final look...
And when everything's in the right place, I give it a quick brush with Tamiya glue.

The openings in the wings for the 20mm guns and the camera didn't match up very well, as I glued the underwing to the fuselage, then the 2 upperwings to the fuselage (to get the best possible assembly look) and finally the 2 upperwings with the underwing.
The result is a very good fuselage/upperwing/underwing look, but at the expense of those 3 openings which were a bit out of alignment.
So I glued plastic inserts for the 2 barrels and a metal tube (cut syringe needle) to get a perfect final result.

aw30.jpg

ccvw.jpg

14f3.jpg

405p.jpg

z10c.jpg

22mg.jpg

Edited by Furie

11 hours ago, Furie said:

Quick question before you do anything stupid: I'm putting the finishing touches to this FW 190 and the paint job isn't far off.
This aircraft will have its underwing RLM 76/aluminium (MRP for these 2 paints).
What do you recommend for the paint order?
1-Paint the RLM 76 and then paint the aluminum?
2-Paint the aluminum, mask it and then paint the RLM 76? 
3-It doesn't matter.

I'd go with the metal first and then the 76, just like the real thing. 

Assembly continues slowly, with the final assembly of all the engine cowl parts (except the front ring). 
As expected, it's a can of worms, an engineer's dream...
I'd thought of assembling all these parts together from the front ring of the engine cowl, but that's not possible because then the engine gets in the way and blocks the assembly when you want to push it backwards.
So I followed the instructions and did the best I could.
As you can see, the result is correct but not perfect, and I still have a bit of liquid putty to insert to get the top cowling well integrated into the fuselage lines.
The MG 131s in the kit have been rebuilt with 1.2 mm and 0.9 mm diameter syringe needles that fit together perfectly.
I'm waiting for an Archer decal kit for the 5 control surfaces.

4wze.jpg

vlh9.jpg

56di.jpg

jav7.jpg

20em.jpg

AR88178.gif

Now, I'm going to put this engine cowl assembly into perspective, because looking at the period photos, the junctions between it and the rest of the fuselage weren't exactly perfect...

Some details of the rivets :

gepw.jpg

cufo.jpg

4 hours ago, HB252 said:

I have built 2 revell Fw 190

In my Fw 190, the assembly of the cowling parts took me 4!! hours

In my second Fw190, I glued the cowling parts whit wood glue ( soft glue), so I can "dry fit" the cowling parts and after It I used cyano glue for final fit

Yes indeed, this was the stage I dreaded the most (and rightly so!) and making a perfect job of this model is unfortunately beyond my capabilities.
Do you have any links to these 2 FW 190 builds?
I tried to find them on LSP but the search function by topic creator name doesn't work or I don't know how to use it.

Edited by Furie

14 hours ago, Furie said:

Yes indeed, this was the stage I dreaded the most (and rightly so!) and making a perfect job of this model is unfortunately beyond my capabilities.
Do you have any links to these 2 FW 190 builds?
I tried to find them on LSP but the search function by topic creator name doesn't work or I don't know how to use it.

Sorry but I  do not put here that builts

The 190 revell cowling in the most tricky part of the model

Well, I put on a little acrylic putty to soften the most important hollows in the engine cowl.
After drying for a few minutes, I wiped off the excess with a cotton bud dipped in water.
While I was waiting for a little gift / splurge I gave myself, I started on the under wing, which is quite complicated: aluminum + RLM 77 + RLM 76.
As you know, at the time, FW 190 fuselages were assembled with FW 190 wings from different factories.
What's more, for reasons of economy, the under wing was not fully painted, as shown in these 2 photos :

Focke-Wulf-Fw-190A8-Stab-I.JG301-(4+-Ger

Focke-Wulf-Fw-190F8-6.SG10-(Y14+-)-WNr-5

So I used MRP's thin black primer for good adhesion and a smooth finish.
I sanded (or rather polished) it with Micromesh 12000.
Then I painted it with MRP 009 white aluminium.
It was quite difficult because I have a 0.25 nozzle on my airbrush and I didn't dilute this paint.
Next, I'll apply a coat of gloss varnish to fix the whole thing, mask it with Tamiya tape and then continue painting.

uoh4.jpg

d3pr.jpg

9u1j.jpg

yqc4.jpg

Edited by Furie