Large scale aircraft ignored

John Stambaugh

Hey guys, I hope you don't mind that I go on a rant here. I just got back from the Huntsville Alabama IPMS show and I found that there was no category for 1/32-1/24 scale aircraft. The Chattanooga IPMS contest is the same. 

When I asked why, I was told that there are not enough large scale participants. Begs the question, how many is enough?

Seems to me that deleting category's 135-137 is a surefire way to ensure that participation will be lacking.

Why would you go to the extra time, work and expense to enter a contest and find that you are competing with typically dozens of models that are generally less than half the expense, time and work.

Would you hire a man to do a difficult and stressful job but pay him the same as the janitor?

What's next; everyone gets a participation trophy?

I don't mean to disparage those who build 1/48 but please keep to your own.

I only complete 2-3 models per year and now I only compete at the Atlanta show where I feel welcome.

Would very much like to hear others opinion on this subject. 

Thanks for letting me vent,

John 

21 minutes ago, BiggTim said:

That's lame, John. They can't just delete categories. I'd contact your regional IPMS rep, and lodge a complaint.

Lame it is. I wish that I had kept the contest flyer as it clearly stated that 1/72 and smaller were in one category as was 1/48 and larger in another and I don't believe I saw a distinction between props and jets either. 

As for myself, I only build large scale WW2 subjects. 

12 hours ago, BiggTim said:

That's lame, John. They can't just delete categories. I'd contact your regional IPMS rep, and lodge a complaint.

Um, yes, they can.  Local shows may or may not adhere to the IPMS/USA categories; the national organization only has control over what the National Convention does in the contest.  Local and regional shows can pretty much run it however they want, including opting to use different judging methods and criteria.  Many local chapters use the Nationals categories, but it's really only a guideline.  They're free to tailor as they see fit for their own needs.  

You don't have to take my word for it; read it for yourself:  https://ipmsusa.org/sites/default/files/modelers_guide_2013.pdf

It's nothing personal, but having run my own show and being involved in others, along with just being an ordinary contestant, you look at the numbers each year and see what's happening. Sometimes you might add categories, or divide some categories getting too big, or at other times, delete categories that are not being well patronised. The by saying that you won't turn up anymore well, you've just sealed the fate of large scale at that show. If you want a category, turn up, enter your kits and when there is no category, make the suggestion that they bring it back. Now if they say no, then yeh, fair enough, don't bother trying anymore, but consider that this decision was made for a reason, give them a reason to reinstate it.

2 hours ago, Joe Hegedus said:

Um, yes, they can.  Local shows may or may not adhere to the IPMS/USA categories; the national organization only has control over what the National Convention does in the contest.  Local and regional shows can pretty much run it however they want, including opting to use different judging methods and criteria.  Many local chapters use the Nationals categories, but it's really only a guideline.  They're free to tailor as they see fit for their own needs.  

You don't have to take my word for it; read it for yourself:  https://ipmsusa.org/sites/default/files/modelers_guide_2013.pdf

I stand corrected, thank you. But I don't think I like that practice very much.

12 hours ago, BradG said:

It's nothing personal, but having run my own show and being involved in others, along with just being an ordinary contestant, you look at the numbers each year and see what's happening. Sometimes you might add categories, or divide some categories getting too big, or at other times, delete categories that are not being well patronised. The by saying that you won't turn up anymore well, you've just sealed the fate of large scale at that show. If you want a category, turn up, enter your kits and when there is no category, make the suggestion that they bring it back. Now if they say no, then yeh, fair enough, don't bother trying anymore, but consider that this decision was made for a reason, give them a reason to reinstate it.

A valid point sir.