1/32 Revell Hurricane Mk IIb

Shoggz

There was a lot of interest in this kit when it was announced and right up to its release. (Who can forget 'dihedral-gate?! :whistle: )

Once it was available I thought we'd see a plethora of builds - but we've barely seen any..

I have no room to talk, as I bought two, started one but then got completely sidetracked with the dual Spitfire attack of the Airfix 1/24th Mk.IX and Kotare 1/32 Mk.I

But, with both those two now completed, I thought I'd turn back to the Hurri - particularly after seeing Shuttleworth's beautiful Sea Hurricane performing at the 'Flying Proms' airshow last weekend. (To my mind, the most authentic and eye-catching of the growing number of airworthy Hurricanes extant.)

Here's where I'm up to.

53141251728_bc27f4839e_b.jpg 53140985159_8dc2903652_b.jpg 53140777476_6e204f3258_b.jpg

Having just built the Kotare kit and amongst a number of others, lauded it for its innovate engineering, this model has somewhat gone under the radar.

I thought the way the wings built up and then the fuselage slotted into the gap was really quite clever, if a little fiddly.

Anyway, I now have something that looks vaguely like a Hurricane and I've enjoyed myself!

Thanks Andy and Max.

Not much filler needed so far, which is a good sign. A little bit of Dissolved Putty was enough for the wing to fuselage join.

The wheel well to wing bottom joint was unlike anything I’ve done before and had me scratching my head for a few seconds - till the light bulb came on! You need to put them together at an angle - apologies for not taking a picture.

11 hours ago, dennismcc said:

Yes I was looking forward to getting this kit but it's still sitting in the stash for various reasons, I will have to extract the digit and get on with it.

Cheers

Dennis

Will be nice to see another on the go Dennis!

• 3 weeks later...

This one went on temporary hold as I thought the carpet monster had irrevocably consumed the tail wheel and I was debating whether to 'rob Peter to pay Paul' and pinch the one out of the other kit I have in the stash.. when Mrs Shoggz found said tail wheel on the floor in the bathroom!

It must have fallen onto me and got carried in there somehow! 

Anyway, my riguor was renewed, and a nice coat of primer was applied.

53181380412_fc332a5955_b.jpg

followed by a nice sky spray on the undersides and tail area in readiness for the tail band

53181971501_c480d563e4_b.jpg 53182416050_6ed82b6c93_b.jpg

We're now at what I'd call the 'ugly duckling' phase - and my favourite bit - finishing and decaling is about to begin.

In general, this model fits reasonably well - I needed a bit of filler in the wing root area, but not too much more.

Also, the plastic is a bit soft - I managed to snap off the spindle that the propellor/spinner assembly attaches to just doing a speculative dry fit, so I'll need to concoct something to get around that, but in general, whilst not being of Tamiya/Kotare standard, it's been better than some of the Revell kits I've built!