A question about Kotare's 1/32 Spitfire

Tolga ULGUR

10 hours ago, LSP_Mike said:

Anyone else notice the prybar in the cockpit door?

Spitfire P8131 began life as a Mk IIa in May 1941 but was converted to an Air Sea Rescue Spitfire in early 1943 and entered service with 276 Squadron in April 1943. Not sure when the crow bar was added to Spitfire doors - if after May 1941, it looks like P8131 received a new cockpit door with the fit out to ASR standard.

Edited by Pete Roberts

19 hours ago, John1 said:

That's a pretty big flare.  Not sure I'd want that thing a few feet behind my butt on a combat mission! One errant mg round and you've got a real "hot seat". 

Just to be clear, those are flare tubes. The flares are inside the tubes and for air sea rescue they were parachute flares

KvrZDGT.jpg

Hurricane MkIIs had them (one) too. They were used to signal an emergency (injured pilot for example) so ground crew

(ambulance) could be ready, and also given priority landing.

...or so I read in a book.

Edited by MikeMaben

2 hours ago, MikeMaben said:

Just to be clear, those are flare tubes. The flares are inside the tubes and for air sea rescue they were parachute flares

KvrZDGT.jpg

Hurricane MkIIs had them (one) too. They were used to signal an emergency (injured pilot for example) so ground crew

These are new things for me Mike, thanks

An Edgar moment is called for here regarding the crow bar.

The crowbar was not fitted, as standard, until November, 1941, though the fittings went into the Spitfire much earlier (it's possible that, at first, like the Hurricane, the bar was by the seat.) Red appears to be a post-war "Elfin safety" requirement; all evidence that I've seen, says that they were black, natural steel, or (Army) bronze green.
Edgar

Also

It was retro-fitted, to all Marks, but not until those dates.

Edgar

Cheers

Dennis

1 hour ago, dennismcc said:

Red appears to be a post-war "Elfin safety" requirement;

Slight diversion, but this seems to no longer apply: certainly the item on our Vc at Shuttleworth is steel grey.

14 hours ago, MikeMaben said:

KvrZDGT.jpg

From what I have read, those two containers were food and a dinghy (for ASR Spits)

Edit - note the Universal stores rack (that carried smoke canisters) under the port wing inboard of the radiator

Edited by Pete Roberts