PBY Catalina reboot?

1 hour ago, Lee in Texas said:

That is awesome. I hope it all works out. If I could afford one, I would have it outfitted like the flying yacht of the 1950s. that sounds like a great subject for a model. 

https://historydaily.org/flying-yachts-of-the-1950s

That’s an amazing piece of history there.  

Whilst I love the Cat (I grew up on a diet of the Cousteau families adventures (a couple of my earlier models were the Calypso {with a Hughes 300?} and also the "flying Calypso, and I'd love to see new builds flying, I really don't think that it's a viable proposition in the roles they're proposing.

There are better options for all the jobs that the company are trying to fill, transport for example is easier and more effective with C-17's, C-130's and the like, even if they have to air drop or lapes their loads into the DZ, MPA is covered with P-8's, and to be honest if an amphibian was a necessity then I'd be talking to the Japanese, the US-2 looks like it could do the job!

Mind you, if I ever win a billion bucks, I'll be first in line for a new build Cat, but I do wonder if turbo props are needed for an unpressurised  aircraft - give me a pair of big 14 cylinder radials, maybe with a bit of fuel injection to modernise them a weebit and I'd be a very happy old man :)

Yeah but imagine comfy seats next to those giant bubble windows. No machine gun mounts, just an incredible view with an ice cold drink, the muffled sound of a pair of big radials. A comfortable bed. A small kitchen. A small bathroom with shower. That would be living the dream. It makes me want to build a model my dream flying yacht.