Sukhoi Su-24M "Stormbringer UAF" [Trumpeter 1:48] - RFI

Alex

After 15+ hours, 326 stencil decals, and a dozen insignia decals, this phase of the project is DONE.  I'm not the first person to gripe about this aspect of building modern fighter jet models, but once it's done you reflect that the stenciling adds so much realism to the final product that we should just be grateful that companies like Foxbot go to the trouble to produce these sheets (and at a very high level of quality for the Foxbot decals).

pmT7tUuJj

pmjGe0xHj

These photos were taken after I has shot a coat of flat over the decals, obviously, which has flattened/blended them and the camo paint to a pleasing degree.

pmSPsKsDj

The only slight gripe on the decals is that the white on the aircraft numbers ("41") is not totally opaque, so the camo peeks through just a touch.  Forewarned (e.g. on my upcoming Frogfoot) I'd make a stencil and pre-spray a white background for them.

Awesome work! Not sure if it’s cost effective, but a second decal set’s “41” laid over this could help. Alternatively, you could make a stencil from a second set and spray over the translucent decal, then sell the second sheet.

Cheers,  Tom

Edited by Uncarina

8 hours ago, LSP_Kevin said:

That looks fantastic, Alex!

Kev

8 hours ago, LSP_Ray said:

Beautiful!

8 hours ago, Uncarina said:

Awesome work! Not sure if it’s cost effective, but a second decal set’s “41” laid over this could help. Alternatively, you could make a stencil from a second set and spray over the translucent decal, then sell the second sheet.

Cheers,  Tom

7 hours ago, scvrobeson said:

Great to see that you got through all of the decaling.  That's a ton of stencils to have to apply, it looks like you did a great job on it. Can't wait to see what happens next

Matt 

Thank you gentlemen!  What’s up next is some little things like running lights, then final assembly!  She’s close now…

Prototypically complicated Soviet landing gear.  Seems a shame to cover most of it up with gear bay doors, but that's how the real 'uns are.

pmzpzQ4Ej

po85HjT8j

In that shot you can also see the really poorly rendered under-fuselage pylons that came with the kit and the bit of centerline seam that I failed to do well.  Not fixing stuff on the bottom at this juncture.

Forward LG already partly hidden...

pmZ8xr9Vj

All bombed up.  I glued the pylons on, but the Storm Shadows stay in place nicely just with their brass rods slipped into the pylons, so I'm leaving them that way in case I ever need to remove them.  The only other ordnance is these characteristic dual-rail missile launchers on the outer wing pylons.  At that point on the slender sweeping wing, the only ordnance that they can carry is the lightweight AA-8 Aphid heat seeker.  Figured I'd give our guy a few of them in case any Russian Flankers show up to interfere (although an AAMRAM would be infinitely better in that situation, if only they had been integrated to date, but AFAIK no joy on that).

pmXGr99gj

16 minutes ago, Alex said:

All bombed up.  I glued the pylons on, but the Storm Shadows stay in place nicely just with their brass rods slipped into the pylons, so I'm leaving them that way in case I ever need to remove them.  The only other ordnance is these characteristic dual-rail missile launchers on the outer wing pylons.  At that point on the slender sweeping wing, the only ordnance that they can carry is the lightweight AA-8 Aphid heat seeker.  Figured I'd give our guy a few of them in case any Russian Flankers show up to interfere (although an AAMRAM would be infinitely better in that situation, if only they had been integrated to date, but AFAIK no joy on that).

pmXGr99gj

Fantastic!

That really does look terrific.  The digital schemes look great on the Eastern block airframes. 

21 minutes ago, Out2gtcha said:

Fantastic!

That really does look terrific.  The digital schemes look great on the Eastern block airframes. 

Glad you are liking it.  It's a bunch of work to paint, but I am pretty pleased with the outcome.  I have a MiG-29 and an Su-25 in the stash that will both probably get their version of the UAF grey-tone digital camo, so it'll eventually be a nice little collection...