Sukhoi Su-24M "Stormbringer UAF" [Trumpeter 1:48] - RFI

Alex

Here's the whole stack of missile plus pylons, pinned together.  I hope that adding two pins to the tabs already present on the base pylon will permit a strong enough joint to the wing boot.  All of this is just dry fit now; I will paint and decal the pieces separately.

pn8UiZi3j

Got the ordnance and pylons painted, glossed up, and decaled.  The Eduard stencil decals for the outer wing pylons and AA-8 Aphid missiles were very thin and fold-prone, so this took a good long while.  Here's a Storm Shadow on its hybrid pylon, finished except for flat coating and some light pastel effects.

pmQrHBN0j

In hindsight it would have looked a bit nicer to paint those yellow bands around the missiles instead of use the decals, but c'est la vie - not going back to change things now.

Next I wet-sanded the whole airframe with 2500- and then 4000-grit sanding cloth to take down ridges and dry paint texture, prior to gloss-coating.  That (sanding paint) is always nerve-wracking as I strive not to sand through anywhere while trying to get that smooth surface.

Here it is ready for another umpteen hours of stencil decals...

pobU5hqNj

1 hour ago, Out2gtcha said:

Looks awesome so far!

I too really like wet color sanding my models. It does make for a much smoother and realistic finish IMHO.

Yep, it really helps out, especially in getting that gloss coat really glossy ahead of decals.

16 hours ago, scvrobeson said:

Stenciling on jets can take longer than the assembly in some instances. Best of luck on it Alex

Matt 

Hope it won't take that long, but it's going to be a task.  Just spent three 90 minute podcasts worth of Saturday just doing the underside of the thing...