Cry (HKM A-20G) Havoc and let the fly the decals of (miniature) war(planes)!

ChuckD

And now back to our regularly scheduled program.

PXL-20230830-234411348.jpg
PXL-20230830-234422208.jpg

I actually had to replace the squadron insignia as well.  I masked it with a highly de-tacked piece of vinyl mask, and it still peeled off in places.  So, off it went too, and now we are back to square two, as it were.  The s/n stencil has been corrected and reapplied as well.

I also decided to start chipping.  This is the first round with the sponge method.  Next, I'll use a brush or silver pencil (likely both) and do some more deliberate hand chipping.  None of the reference pics show heavy chipping, so I'll keep it to a subtle minimum.
PXL-20230830-234432479.jpg
PXL-20230830-234437102.jpg

5 hours ago, Uncarina said:

I’ve been clicking and saving Chuck! BTW, that canopy fit is phenomenal. Are the wingwalk markings painted?

Cheers,  Tom

Thanks!  To save you some effort, here's the link to the full gallery. 

https://postimg.cc/gallery/FJmDRnt

The canopy fit is really nice, though I did add a little filler between the fuselage and the windscreen piece.  And yes, I did paint the wing walk outlines and non-slip section.  The kit includes decals for the red outline, but I have a pretty bad track record with getting long, spindly decals like that in place.  So, I cut masks for them and painted them instead.  

• ChuckD changed the title to Cry (HKM A-20G) Havoc and let the fly the decals of (miniature) war(planes)!

The filter work is done now and will dry while I'm running errands today.

The effect is, intentionally, very subtle, but I love how it helps tie everything together.  Bonus points for being a stupid simple technique too.  Super thin burnt umber oil paint brushes all over the model.

Here the two elevators have been filtered, the rudder has not.  Notice the depth and richness of the base coat brought out by the filter.

PXL-20230902-123914862.jpg

Here, you can see the difference on the rudder after the filter.

PXL-20230902-130300290.jpg

The overall look as the thinner dries.
PXL-20230902-125412548.jpg

The decals are faded and tied together tonally.  Another bonus is that it starts the very beginnings of a panel line wash too.  
PXL-20230902-125540887.jpg

I'll clean up any puddling with thinner later tonight, then do some weathering, dry pigments, and she's done.  If all goes to plan, I'm hoping to wrap it up by Monday!

Edited by ChuckD

• 3 months later...