F4U-2 Corsair Conversion

denders

1 hour ago, Dave Williams said:

The starboard outboard gun was removed to counter the weight of the radar pod.

Yup.

1 hour ago, CRAZY IVAN5 said:

Not very many built ,I'm thinking less than 40. You'll have to find a pic of the radar scope installation, I haven't had any luck so far.

Yes, necessary info. Having one time declaring the Corsair as the "Favorite", I have a lot of information. I don't off hand remember if I've ever seen anything. I guess I'll have to revisit it.

1 hour ago, denders said:

Yup.

Yes, necessary info. Having one time declaring the Corsair as the "Favorite", I have a lot of information. I don't off hand remember if I've ever seen anything. I guess I'll have to revisit it.

The Corsair is one of my favs , I've been looking but can't find any pics for the radar scope installation . I know it had to have one , just don't know if it was the same as the later -5N. I'm getting real curious about this. 

9 hours ago, LSP_Ray said:

Both AMS and Lone Star Models did conversion sets. Both are OOP, although LSM is supposed to be working on starting up again, and Tim is trying to get at least some of the AMS stuff going again.

I wonder if they were for the Tamiya kit or the old Revell kit. I have an LSM cockpit set and a Verlinden cockpit set for the old Revell kit. There are three of the Revell kits in the stash to build "some time". :shrug: (decades?)

The outer 50 Cal gun was removed for the Airborne Intercept Radar extra weight, the scope was placed in the center of the instrument panel, flame dampers on the exhaust, two antennas linked to the Radio Altimeter under the fuselage, autopilot was installed, VHF unit installed instead of HF, arrestor hook removed (land-based marines), more powerful generator installed and an air intake on the front right side to ensure cooling, some had lengthened tailwheel legs used on the -1A and D's.

Normally painted NS blue-grey and NS light grey but some were 3 tone and VF(N) 101 black or a mixture of black/insignia blue with no code numbers.

32 converted and 2 field modified from what i've read. No pictures of the scope but i've seen pictures of hellcats and tiger cats scopes.

1 hour ago, denders said:

I wonder if they were for the Tamiya kit or the old Revell kit. I have an LSM cockpit set and a Verlinden cockpit set for the old Revell kit. There are three of the Revell kits in the stash to build "some time". :shrug: (decades?)

I believe the LSM set was originally developed for the old Revell kit. The AMS set (mostly the radar pod) was done after the Tamiya kit came out.

I have both sets, maybe I should do a quick review?

The AMS pod was for the Tamiya kit, but I don't think it included anything else that I have found so far. The pod is sitting on my bench right now for some re-mastering, and I hope to put it back out there soon. I plan to include the flame dampers, longer tail wheel, and the little "T" antennae on the bottom. The hard part is the bump on the canopy. Maybe vac-form that?

I decided to re-do it a bit because some new references have come to light since Harold first made it that add some clarity to the subject. I even found a very similar radar scope for sale on ebay and got a bunch of good pics from that! If I could afford 180 bucks (the offer he made me), I'd buy it.

Tim

Edited by BiggTim