Hasegawa Fw-190A5. Definitely an A5.

Gazzas

Hello boys and girls! 

I got a great (really great!) deal on this Hasegawa 190.  I'd been wanting one for quite a while, and I didn't want to wait to build it.  The decals are aged with time...  so I'm not certain which scheme I'll give it.  Due to the parts available I can make either version.IMG_2055.thumb.JPG.4893d23d06cfaab9e8b443516d4139a6.JPG

The Nowotny scheme is quite nice, but I tend to gravitate more to the western confrontation.

One of the first things I did was thin the sides of the seat...   then painted and weathered it.  I just used a darker gray wash over the dark gray paint and then painted the cushion.   I also did some sponge chipping which doesn't show at all.   I also ordered some seat belts from BNA.

IMG_2063.thumb.JPG.1b04aaa53cf564ad8fe84601ba16dbe3.JPG

Likewise, the cockpit tub and IP.

IMG_2061.thumb.JPG.e90255f58f8e2cf31f21463398cfb5bd.JPG

After matte coating the parts, I used Five Second fix to put glass lenses over all of the gauges. 

IMG_2062.thumb.JPG.d387acb24eb1867c3eb50b587b6e34a7.JPG

The Hasegawa decals worked well enough though it took a lake of Mr. Mark Softer to get them to to lay down completely.

•  
Edited by Gazzas

4 hours ago, Alain Gadbois said:

Excellent start!

The kit decals for the instruments are surprisingly convincing! 

Alain

Thank you!  To make getting them down accurately, easier...   I cut them into smaller,  more controllable sections.

5 hours ago, Volksjager said:

Nice work so far. Looking forward to more progress on this one.

I am building the Airfix 1/24 Fw190A-5 and, like you, I am not all that keen to build an Eastern front machine, though I found it hard to find an interesting scheme.

Thank you!  I agree...   finding an interesting scheme that hasn't been done by many a modeller before is not easy.

What about doing an A-5/U3... a jabo..

Some schemes on Eduard's website from their 1/48th kit....Eduard 190A-5/U3 Jabo

You could do the one which landed at a British airfield by mistake, normal camo with a sooty black night camo over top... It did have 'FW Trager' wing drop tank mounts, but these were removed quite quickly and left interesting RLM 76 patches on the wings...

No outer wing guns, not sure if the access cover on wing undersurface was changed (to something like an F, which these were the ancestor of)...

Just a thought.

Matt

On 4/18/2023 at 6:30 AM, mattlow said:

What about doing an A-5/U3... a jabo..

Some schemes on Eduard's website from their 1/48th kit....Eduard 190A-5/U3 Jabo

You could do the one which landed at a British airfield by mistake, normal camo with a sooty black night camo over top... It did have 'FW Trager' wing drop tank mounts, but these were removed quite quickly and left interesting RLM 76 patches on the wings...

No outer wing guns, not sure if the access cover on wing undersurface was changed (to something like an F, which these were the ancestor of)...

Just a thought.

Matt

Thanks for the suggestion, Matt.  I'm really much more into fighters than fighter bombers.

Back again.

Yesterday the HGW belts got here.  And thank goodness you get two sets.  Because I totally ruined one with clumsiness and bullheadedness.  And since I had today off...   scheduled, not a sickee...  I knew I would get them done.  They took me all morning.

IMG_2085.thumb.JPG.22908f26db47c4d7e1487f6d08c9a198.JPG

IMG_2086.JPG.413d9ed1a57e6f8b682ead47547d341d.JPG

IMG_2087.thumb.JPG.499096b95e4e4bf60f15d66b142c25fe.JPG

IMG_2088.thumb.JPG.9dfdda75d49eda35cece9d254b76e1b2.JPG

You can see in the last picture that 65% of the detail disappeared when I closed up the fuselage.

Ciao babies!

Some tips on those belts - and apologies if you actually did all this

- give them a crumple in your fingers before assembly - properly mash them up! It will make them more compliant when trying to lay them / bend them

- consider a wash in conjunction with the above if you want additional ‘plasticity’ 

- most of these belts are only painted one side (which is a bit lame from HGW, and i have already flagged this to them), so if you ever want to have one or more sections completely flipped over, which can look kind of cool, paint the backside before construction - far less fiddly!

- construction tip: use tamiya tape or similar to hold down the various belt sub sections onto your cutting Matt - it’s like having a third or fourth set of hands! Once i started using this technique, construction was made much easier - it’s still fiddly, but no real voodoo about it

looking forward to seeing this one built up! Such a shame these early marks have been a 1/32 desert for so many years (but maybe you are speeding along Z-m’s releases?!)

cheers

Nick