Early A6M5 - Rabaul, early 1944

Juggernut

Well, it's pretty much done (except for the canvas boot on the tail wheel).  My very first completed group build entry...loads of starts and late finishes but this one's the first "in-time" completion. 

This is a representation of an early A6M5 Model 52 with collector exhausts and full cowl flaps.  If anyone's interested in the build thread, it's here: Tamiya Early A6M5

All markings are sprayed using custom masks from my Cameo 4 and MRP paint.  Underside color is MRP J3 SP while the topside is Tamiya XF11 lightened considerably with white and yellow.  The MRP black-green D1 was just too dark and more closely represents a brand new aircraft just out of the factory rather than one that's been in the tropics for a few months.  The stencils are Tamiya for better or worse except for the serial number data plates and markings.  Those represent my chosen m/n of 4076 build sometime in October of 1943.  Antenna is EZ-Line threaded through a prototypically small hole in the vertical stab and twisted as the real bungee was done.  Superglued back on itself and then stretched to the front antenna post and secured with another drop of superglue.  Glass insulators near the tail are superglue drops, painted white.

eXPEd6v.jpg

DZlKrwS.jpg

9lqDcUY.jpg

uSqy08S.jpg

nRO8GZe.jpg

WG5T02R.jpg

Cp4iPvz.jpg

mCQPbK9.jpg

JN0osCg.jpg

QylXZd8.jpg

vh3SBFm.jpg

nUpZrKs.jpg

4 hours ago, Greif8 said:

Very sharp looking Zero Tim!  I learned a lot by following your build.  The end result looks great!

Ernest

Thanks Ernest.  I just followed (for the most part) what my source was telling me (Ryan Toews).  I think it looks great too...there are a couple slip-ups that could probably be corrected with a little effort but I'll live with them.  Nobody but me probably notices them anyway.

4 hours ago, MikeMaben said:

Wow ! ! !  that is some fine work Tim.  Excellent finish.

Thanks Mike, it's the first time I've used the Alclad flat finish on a model.  I've been told it's very good and after using it, I think I still prefer the old Testor's Dullcote.  It's also a lot more expensive than Testor's Dullcote.  It'll do until I need to source some more flat finish.

Nice build.  I've bookmarked this for when I get onto mine, which I had intended to do for the Turning Japanese GB until I got side tracked with a Spitfire commission.  I like the nose mods you did on this and the extra detailing in the cockpit. 

:goodjob:

Cheers,

Michael