Tamiya A6M5

Juggernut

Ok, I cannot resist this group build but i need to finish my 109G-10 before moving on to this one.  However, as a place holder of sorts, I'm going to hint at what I'll be working on in the near future for this group build.  There aren't enough zero's in this Group Build forum so I'll be adding one.  The kit is the Tamiya A6M5 but it'll be somewhat different.  I'll give you a clue as to what I'm going to attempt to do:

vyaEZXD.png

bL8yuW0.png

Ok, I'll give you another hint:  The aircraft I'm planning is talked about in Pacific Profiles No. 5 and is not a specific set of markings for this aircraft.  See if you can guess what I'm going to do with this kit.  Ryan, if you see this, no telling!

Edited by Juggernut

• 2 weeks later...
8 hours ago, Greif8 said:

That's some nice AM for the build Tim. 

Ernest  

I try to keep the aftermarket as small as possible but with the gimmicky wheel wells that are totally incorrect (because of the retractable landing gear), I needed to either replace or scratch build....  And after that 1/16 Panther G I just spent two years on, I'm not too keen on scratchbuilding that much detail... The double-sided masks are a great find because in 1/32, you can definitely see the insides of the canopy frames which on this aircraft, should be painted a different color (probably black) than the exterior color.

The Quinta Studios set I got to see if I can get rid of the Tamiya "Coke-Bottle" lenses for the instruments.  The last item is the clue to what I'm going to do with this A6M5.  the printed stuff are just notes to help me.

Edited by Juggernut

5 minutes ago, Fanes said:

Will it become an early A6M5 with the exhaust system and cowl flaps from an A6M3?

Yep, you got it! A6M5 production run prior to December 1943, 200 airframes constructed with the collector exhaust and A6M3 cowl.

Edited by Juggernut

Here we go:  Since this will be an early A6M5, the fire extinguisher bottle installation is different prior to m/n 4275 built in early December 1943 (at which time the fire extinguisher system was revamped and became like what Tamiya gives you in the kit).  I took part E62, cut the bottles apart and "removed" the bottle holder from the bottom of the bottle and rounded it off.  I scratch built two holders to hold the single, horizontal fire extinguisher bottle.  The bottle is just positioned in the photo to get the holders positioned correctly.  I'll add the bottle clamps shortly and then give everything a coat of paint.

The aotake is MRP green aotake with Gunze aqueous aotake blue-green ribs.  From my highly knowledgeable source (the same person who wrote the Tweak List identified below), an early A6M5 built in or around September 1943 had green aotake in behind the cockpit whereas one built in November 1943 only had blue aotake formers with natural metal skin.  This was based on examination of two aircraft in collections so I decided to make mine somewhere between the start of A6M5 production and October/November of 1943 since there's no hard m/n where the change took place.

lZUKS5G.jpg

jYeuUXY.jpg

v2sTmyA.png

More to follow shortly....

REFERENCE: Tamiya A6M5 Tweak List

Edited by Juggernut