PCM Hurricane (late) 56 Squadron….finished!

mozart

More progress today:

ulyu7p.jpg

LXl1cL.jpg

dfceGJ.jpg

Yh8YZ8.jpg

ogsb1B.jpg

QEgTNP.jpg

Tidying up to do on the dog kennel and one or two other small areas but I'm pleased with the over all "tone" of the finish so far, pretty much what I was aiming for.  The exhausts are still WiP, I'm trying to get a "tempered" look to them:

q3mAgl.jpg

I was browsing the pages of the Wingleader Archive yesterday and found this profile of P3153:

SZXMkt.jpg

What interested me was the presence of underwing roundels because prior to 1 August 1940, none were carried:

gscXv2.jpg

So I needed to find out a little more about the "life" of P3153.  She was taken on by 56 Squadron on 25 June 1940 and very soon became the regular Hurricane of F/O Brooker, for example:

77wmlO.jpg

But she was struck off charge on 21 August.....so what happened on the day?  F/O Brooker's Combat Report tells the story:

j5j3OW.png

YAS8F6.png

A bit difficult to read, but this is what it says:

21/8/40

F/O Brooker

I was practice flying in the vicinity of Ipswich in formation with F/O Weaver.  We were carrying out an R/T test with the forward tender at Martlesham when the Controller warned us that there was a hostile aircraft in the vicinity.

F/O Weaver sighted an aircraft about 6 miles away north of Ipswich flying west.  We went to investigate and saw the AA fire from Wattisham.  F/O Weaver lost sight of the aircraft in the clouds but I saw it  come out again and was able to get on its tail as it headed for the next cloud.

I closed to about 50 yards concentrating on the starboard engine until I lost it in the cloud.  I experienced return fire from the top centre gun, some of which must have entered my radiator.  I was blinded for some time by fumes and my engine commenced cutting out and then stopped.  My windscreen was covered with oil, probably from the Do. 17, and I endeavoured to put the aircraft down in a field with the wheels up.  I undershot and had to crash into a hedge.

The engine was burning but this was put out after about 10 minutes by fire extinguishers produced by the local LDV. My nose was cut slightly on the reflector sight during the incident.

I saw a man descending by parachute as I was gliding down but did not see the enemy aircraft again.  I would not have claimed this as a definite casualty if the people on the ground had not witnessed it coming down after my attack.

The Squadron ORB:

1xnDcE.jpg

and the Adjutant's daily summary:

wn0VYR.jpg

So, the sad end of P3153.  I have the option of modelling her during July, sans roundels, but I think it would be better as her last flight with them, watch this space!

Edited by mozart

What’s this…..the Black Death?

MVfab9.jpg

No, just masking for OneManArmy stencils! To say that I’m impressed would be an understatement:

wograj.jpg

EASC9Y.jpg

I was also keen to find out if they are re-usable, and they are! The limiting factor isn’t that the lettering gets clogged up, but that the mask will lose its stickiness. 

Edited by mozart

8 minutes ago, R Palimaka said:

Wow!!! They are impressive!!

Richard

And the impressive thing about them Richard is that by spraying at a lighter pressure and making the stencils less “dense”, you automatically end up with a weathered look! 

15 minutes ago, mozart said:

And the impressive thing about them Richard is that by spraying at a lighter pressure and making the stencils less “dense”, you automatically end up with a weathered look! 

It's true! After taking another look they don't look as stark as decals might, and they complement your weathering very well. They look kind of "organic" if you know what I mean. 

They don't do Mustang stencils sadly, I wonder if it's a copyright issue with "Boeing"...although they have some for the B-25.

Your Hurricane is looking amazing!

Richard

Thanks Richard, I’m quietly fairly pleased with the Hurricane, augurs well for the next one, the Hurribomber. 

The only downside with the OneManArmy masks as far as I’m concerned is that they are expensive when (as in my case) I don’t need the roundels etc.  He would do well to produce some sets just comprising stencils, warning signs etc etc.

2 hours ago, mozart said:

Thanks Richard, I’m quietly fairly pleased with the Hurricane, augurs well for the next one, the Hurribomber. 

The only downside with the OneManArmy masks as far as I’m concerned is that they are expensive when (as in my case) I don’t need the roundels etc.  He would do well to produce some sets just comprising stencils, warning signs etc etc.

Agree, with this, they are awesome, should maybe consider making generic stencils for the various airforces aircraft sans national markings. I used them on my Lancaster and they were impressive.