F-4EJ Kai - 8th Squadron - "JASDF 50th Anniversary" - Finished

Zola25

1 hour ago, Stokey Pete said:

I’m so looking forward to seeing the rest of the scheme come together. 

You and me both Pete :)

I have a lot of modelling-mojo this weekend so I managed to finish the complex masking :punk: - The masking set is a custom made set from DN Models - they have since released it for everyone to buy. It is upscaled from 1/48 so I was a bit concerned that it would not fit without major reworks. I am happy to say that it fits very very well :)

Only real tricky part is that the masking pieces are very large to handle (especially the tail section) and difficult to move around but with a lot of patience and plenty of breaks - I managed to get it as symmetrical as I am going to get. - I am hoping to get a coat of black primer on it later today so it can dry thoroughly the next couple of days.

c9RKg0.jpg

W2QbVC.jpg

/Niels

6 hours ago, themongoose said:

Awesome!!

Some frisket will help with those large unwieldy masks. I use clear drawer liner myself. If you’re not too far along and you want an easier time with those big masks it might help.

I was more struggling getting them to conform to the surface than avoid having them curl up on themselves. If you look at the tail it is a two-piece mask (one for each side of the fuselage) but it needs to conform to both the bulky shape of the fuselage and then make a 90 degree turn up along the tail. Its really hard to get a one-peice large mask to do that. You cannot avoid cutting some slits in some strategic places to get it to lay down properly  - at least I can´t ^_^

/Niels

On 2/20/2023 at 4:06 AM, Zola25 said:

I was more struggling getting them to conform to the surface than avoid having them curl up on themselves. If you look at the tail it is a two-piece mask (one for each side of the fuselage) but it needs to conform to both the bulky shape of the fuselage and then make a 90 degree turn up along the tail. Its really hard to get a one-peice large mask to do that. You cannot avoid cutting some slits in some strategic places to get it to lay down properly  - at least I can´t ^_^

/Niels

ahhha, i see what you mean now :thumbsup:

I am tweaking the blue colors as I go - maybe I should have tested more but I also find that smaller test pieces don´t always represent the result on a large airframe. Its a natural part of my process but I should get more paint delivered on Tuesday.. I find the light blue is a little too light at the moment

CoAGPQ.jpg

/Niels

36 minutes ago, Stokey Pete said:

Are those the MRP out of the bottle, or your own mix? They’re not a million miles away from what I can tell. 
It’s looking pretty darned good. 

I am actually using Mr.Color for this, C374 JASDF Shallow Ocean Blue and Mr.Color C375 JASDF Deep Ocean Blue. I tested the MRP JASDF color set but they were even lighter than the Mr.Color colors. I will likely use them for highlights

They are not far away as you say and spraying more dark blue will surely also make the overall hue seem darker. I will continue to work on it and do some additional toning. I just painted the left wing and it is starting to look more balanced already...

2HedWb.jpg

/Niels