Curtiss Mohawk SAAF

Marcleon

Thank you everyone for checking in on this build! Yes, some progress is made... I have sprayed the prop tips yellow, on the left of the photo, and have progressed with the instrument panel. It has the gun sight attached and a small extra panel below it, still needs details added! This is very difficult to photograph, black on black and recessed instruments but still twinkles in real life as you view it...

IMG-4082.jpg

I do like the "crackle black" finish SH have achieved... and the right side of the photo shows the "Blast tubes" attached to the engine firewall, not much of this will be seen, it looks a bit rough here but will get attention... it's part of the plan for the machine guns popping through the cowling... This photo is very magnified, so it may all look a little rough...

Regards,

Marc.

Thank you Troy and everyone else who checked in on the thread! Yes, it is still ongoing and I moved onto the wings. Here I joined the upper and lower halves, and yes, they fitted quite well alter a lot of scraping and sanding on the mating surfaces... also, I am not so proud of the trailing edges, they remain a little thick, and I can't seem to improve this without destroying detail... but I will be careful and see how this works out...

IMG-4085.jpg

... but good enough for government work... and then some of those small parts added to fill out the bumps that house the undercarriage leg mechanism in the leading edge... not a good result... will need putty, file, sand rinse and repeat... forgive me while I take a day or two to sort this out...

IMG-4086.jpg

On second thoughts, looks horrible, doesn't it?

Enjoy your modelling!

Regards,

Marc.

Thank You Maru, Alain and all those following! There is some progress although most of it is fitting, filing making it fit and working on the alignment and just getting all those bulkheads to more or less fit... Vanessa said there were a few rants and funny words but I deny this...  All the bulkheads except the rear cockpit and floor are glued in place in this picture, there is swarf and plastic dust everywhere and the plastic looks paler since this is taken in the strong African sun outside... we have one of our regular power failures on the go... The first sanding of the wing leading edge and undercarriage bumps has been done, more surface primer beckons... Note there is no internal painting at this stage, I still want to do everything at once, add the other cockpit sidewall and then join the fuselage halves. It looks scrappy, but the 3 major assemblies actually do come together (sort of.. it fits where it touches..) Note not a single tab or aligning pin and hole, I'm on my own! Have a good weekend! Regards, Marc

IMG-4089.jpg

You are so right to go solar, Nick! My son went that route with a hectic system, he says he will never make the money back but he simply is unaware of any power interruptions. Maru, it's pretty bad here and no end in sight... so we are all trying to "Make a plan"! I need to get moving on it once the house renovations are done... But Thank you all for checking in! More progress soon ... Marc

Just a little progress this weekend - it was my daughter's graduation as a teacher, I had to do that with her! So I did lots of trial fitting and glued in the cockpit assembly and then reinforced it with bits of white plasticard ... you can pick them up in the photo.. I think this all helps the front and rear fuselage join ... I really don't want it to crack open later on in the build! Then test fit, test fit. Lots of trimming of the front cockpit bulkhead - it is too wide at the lower end and interferes with the wing fit as well...  the cockpit floor is also too wide and got duly hacked ... after an hour of trimming it seems I can at least get it together... 

IMG-4156.jpg

Not much, but important stuff to help the fit... Regards, Marc.

15 hours ago, Marcleon said:

... after an hour of trimming it seems I can at least get it together...

I hate when that happens ...

sYTmL0T.jpg?2

Thank You Mike and Brad for commenting, yes, whether I like it or not, there's a lot of fettling and adjusting to do with this type of kit, and it does pay off... I was battling to join the two fuselage halves without tension, and there seemed to be tension around the area of the fuselage front and back halves, when I decided to test fit the windshield, and it apperared to be too wide for the fuselage at that point, so I experimented and eventually added a thin plasticard wedge opening up the fuselae slightly at that point, the forward point of this is at the join I mentioned...

IMG-4157.jpg

... and here is the windsreen very loosely taped on, it may need a bit more work! From past experience, it's easier to modify the fuselage where the canopy fits than the other way round! Time consuming fiddling...

IMG-4158.jpg

The fuselage halves fit together sooo much better now...

Regards,

Marc