Der Stern von Afrika

Greif8

It has been a few months since I posted any builds.  I have been focused on road cycling for the past several months but I have built some kits during the spring and summer months; I just have not photographed them until now.  First up is Hasegawa's BF109 F4 built to replicate an aircraft flown by Hans-Joachim Marseille circa mid-June 1942.  Marseille was one of the most successful German fighter pilots; flying exclusively over Western Europe or in North Africa he was credited with 158 victories in 382 combat missions before his death.  Modern historians and researchers generally agree that his claims are 65-70% accurate, making his actual total closer to 105-111 victories (depending on which records you want to believe).

Marseille was born in the Berlin district of Charlottenburg in 1919.  His early career as a pilot was marked by a fair degree of ill-discipline and he was not very successful or popular, with either fellow pilots or his leaders.  He was transferred out of two different Jagdgeschwader (JG) for disciplinary reasons being assigned to JG27.  Though still more than a little free spirited, Marseille came into his own while assigned to this unit.  He flew with JG27 for the remainder of his career becoming known as Der Stern von Afrika (The Star of Africa) after he had achieved around 75 victories.  His career, and life, would come to an end on 30 September 1942,  returning from a mission his engine began smoking heavily and he was forced to bail out.  His plane had entered a dive and he struck the vertical stabiliser being either killed instantly or rendered unconscious falling to his death.  His final reasting place is in the Schöneberg district of Berlin.

I took the photos under some fairly harsh direct lighting to try to replicate the desert sun.  In a departure from the norm for me, used Lifecolor acrylics to airbrush the colors, mainly just to see if I could get them to spray well.  I faded the paint fairly extensively as I thought the harsh desert sun would have done that on the actual aircraft.

OA14

OA12

OA11

OA10

OA8

OA6

OA4

OA2

Edited by Greif8

Hi

Congrats! absolutely beautiful model!

got a question: With the indicated period (mid june 1942) and after reading at the book from Air Power editions, I found at the n°16 aircraft (WNr. 10137) of H-J Marseille and the illustration are not given a red rudder, what do you think about?

1 minute ago, rafju said:

Hi

Congrats! absolutely beautiful model!

got a question: With the indicated period (mid june 1942) and after reading at the book from Air Power editions, I found at the n°16 aircraft (WNr. 10137) of H-J Marseille and the illustration are not given a red rudder, what do you think about?

Thank you for the nice compliment Rafju.  I don't have the Air Power book, but there is some debate about the rudder color of Marseille's aircraft at this time.  I don't have exhaustive sources for this particulair topic and to be honest, as there are some conflicting opinions about the color of the rudder,  I just flipped a mental coin and went with the "primer" red.

Ernest 

17 hours ago, MARU5137 said:

Ernest, 

GORGEOUS  looking model and lovely  work on the figure too.

:wow:

Your  depiction  of the heat of the sun turned out perfectly.

STUNNING. 

:thumbsup:   :clap2:   

Bravo....   :bow:

Thank you for the kind words MARU!

Ernest

10 hours ago, Gazzas said:

Ernest, great job!  Love the fading effects!  The figure looks great, too.

Thank you Gary!  I was actually a bit concerned that I had overdone the fading effects.  The figure is about a B+ effort for me, (I think I could have gotten the eyes a bit better.)

Ernest

3 hours ago, Uncarina said:

I’ve always liked your capture of a moment of history Ernest by combining figures with great models, and this is no exception! I also really like the historical background you share.

Cheers,  Tom

Thank you for the kind words Tom!  I enjoy telling a story with my builds.  Like some (most?) of us, I like to research my build subjects.  As a military historian I have a deep interest in the things a choose to build and depict - and living in Germany - gives me access to primary source material in archives that allows me to deep dive sometimes.  

Ernest