Hog's firepower display - A-10C - Full makeup

red Dog

1 hour ago, thierry laurent said:

Hi Olivier. Actually I have the opposite experience! When using thin plastic sheet the Tamiya glue is eating the plastic edge and leaving a slightly irregular result whereas Klear obviously does not and does not leave anything thick enough under a coat of primer. I guess this is probably linked to the way each of us is using the different products. As far as something works this is good!

Interesting indeed. Do you dilute your klear? I found mine way too thick for that. Varnish as well.

I never was a big fan of klear, messed too many tests (and a few models with it) so I don't use it often 

1 hour ago, red Dog said:

Interesting Talon. I'd love to hear how you do it? I guess you have a special tool for that? It seems a pretty convenient solution for fixing indeed the rivets destroyed by sanding. Call me stupid but I'd love to get your how to :)

It is actually a very easy process and allows you to produce hundreds of rivets of your chosen diameter to a consistent size quickly and easily. I can produce around 200 rivets in a minute.

Process is to find a piece of metal (end of a drill bit, wire, rod, tube) that is the diameter of the rivets you want to produce. Insert that into a hobby knife handle such as an X-Acto blade handle. Lay a piece of lead foil on a piece of cloth - I use an old white cotton t-shirt. Use the piece of metal in the handle to repeatedly punch the lead foil, which will produce numerous domed rivets the diameter you need.

The foil I have is red on one side and a friend gave me a lifetime supply (they are unused wine bottle tops). The red is useful to see which way up to apply the rivet, and to show me when they are glued. I attach with Tamiya Extra Thin, and then fix in place with a coat of Mr Surfacer. If they take a very rough knock they may come off, but are pretty easy to replace and I've not really had any issues with knocking them.

Here is a 1/72 AAV-7 using the technique for the applique reactive armour bolts showing how easily the technique allows you to scale size.

3_2012-07-19

The basic tools (this drill bit is .6mm diameter so quite large rivets)

C6799940-9509-4C8A-990F-D8F3F5E50FB5

And after about a second of work - rivets ready to apply. Note that I have turned these over, so the red domed side is up. The side of the foil that is facing down is the side that will have the dome.

C813D6E7-4F22-4028-A797-791DBCF1EA22

Edited by Talon

Many thanks Talon for taking the time to explain.

I was somehow seeing a dome kind of rivet and was wondering if you punched these then the contact surface to the model should be pretty small and hence very difficult have them stick correctly on the model.

But am I right to assume that the rivets you punch are flat - which makes them easy to stick on plastic?

You get exactly the same result with a grainer tool but in that case you can use plastic as well to get dome-shaped rivets (the tip of each punch being concave). My set has 16 different diameters. I'm punching rivets over an thick industrial rubber square mat I got it many years ago (from a modeller working for Caterpillar!). This is very efficient.

I'm wondering which "Klear" you used. In Belgium they used to sell a milky and thicker Johnson "Klir" that was a similar but different product. I purchased my bottles of Klear years ago while being on vacation in Scotland. This possibly explains that. I'm never thinning it as it is like water.

2 hours ago, MikeMaben said:

If Klear is anything like Future (so I've heard) you should be able to thin it with 91% acohol.

Johnson wax Future or Klear is thinned with Ammonia. Pure clear Ammonia, not "sudsy" or "Lemon scent" which back in the day

was readily available, but now may be a bit tough to find. It is also a good way to remove it, but test an area first. AND if you shoot

it thinned through an airbrush, be sure to flush and clean the airbrush right away as the Ammonia can attack the chrome coating.

1 hour ago, thierry laurent said:

You get exactly the same result with a grainer tool but in that case you can use plastic as well to get dome-shaped rivets (the tip of each punch being concave). My set has 16 different diameters. I'm punching rivets over an thick industrial rubber square mat I got it many years ago (from a modeller working for Caterpillar!). This is very efficient.

I'm wondering which "Klear" you used. In Belgium they used to sell a milky and thicker Johnson "Klir" that was a similar but different product. I purchased my bottles of Klear years ago while being on vacation in Scotland. This possibly explains that. I'm never thinning it as it is like water.

Sounds like what I know as Jeweler's Beading tool set. Wasn't cheap, but very nice set with friction handle that leaves a circle on surface, or can be used firmly as you explained.