1/35 Boeing AH-64D/E Apache from Takom

Kagemusha

• 2 weeks later...

So I knew the decals with this kit weren't the best but I had no idea that they were absolute garbage.     Scroll to the last few minutes of this video, the guy finally gives up on the decals and consigns his fully built kit to the shelf of doom, referring to the service markings as "stickers".      So this is a bit of a showstopper.   To the best of my knowledge only two outfits have announced aftermarket decals at all for this kit.   One (Caracal) specifically said he wasn't doing stencils.    The other (Werner's Wings) hasn't said anything.    If no one steps up with aftermarket stencils, I'm left trying to decide whether it's worth even starting this build since ultimately, like the guy in the vid, it's going to be painted and then transferred to the SoD while I wait (years?) for stencils.   

Just to follow up on my last post, Werner's Wings just confirmed that they will be doing a sheet of stencils for this kit (in addition to the sheet of US Army subjects).    I've got Floyd's Blackhawk stencils and they are absolutely first rate, so I've got high hopes for the Apache sheet.     Very good news! 

43 minutes ago, John1 said:

Just to follow up on my last post, Werner's Wings just confirmed that they will be doing a sheet of stencils for this kit (in addition to the sheet of US Army subjects).    I've got Floyd's Blackhawk stencils and they are absolutely first rate, so I've got high hopes for the Apache sheet.     Very good news! 

Hopefully he releases them soon, I'm currently designing masks and decals and not enjoying the process for the smaller ones.

Great news about decals from Werner´s wings - they are usually top class.

Although I usually take whatever Nigel reviews at face value it is also dangerous to just conclude that the decals are useless. Jorge did not seem to have problems making them look very very nice ideed in this build...

29 minutes ago, Zola25 said:

Great news about decals from Werner´s wings - they are usually top class.

Although I usually take whatever Nigel reviews at face value it is also dangerous to just conclude that the decals are useless. Jorge did not seem to have problems making them look very very nice ideed in this build...

I went back and looked at his build, and as awesome as it is, I see some signs of the decal issues that Nigel reported.  I think they are somewhat hidden on Jorge’s build because of the lighter colors and light color mottling, than on Nigel’s uniform very dark color build.  If you look at the United States Army on the fuselage side in the last photo, you can see a light fog under the decal.

1 hour ago, Porkbits said:

Sweet, thanks! Saraf ordered.

Now.....someone needs to make better decals for it. Welp.

The Isradecal conversion includes decals, but I don’t know if they will sell them separately.

1 hour ago, markiii said:

The latest 3 releases have landed at Sprue Bros.

Hopefully that means my preorders from Squadron will be shipping soon.

On 6/8/2023 at 4:29 AM, Zola25 said:

I guess we are getting kit #7 in the Apache series.. that is quite a lot of kits but the JGSDF version is one of my personal favorites

https://www.themodellingnews.com/2023/06/preview-takoms-35th-scale-ah-64d-apache.html#more

The Modelling News on Twitter: "Before you ask - read the article to see if  the anime figure is included with TAKOM's new AH-64D JGSDF Apache Longbow  in 1/35th scale. See what

I really wish this version came with the figure.... 

16 hours ago, Porkbits said:

Sweet, thanks! Saraf ordered.

Now.....someone needs to make better decals for it. Welp.

Here you go: https://heli-scale-quality.de/advanced_search_result.php?categories_id=&inc_subcat=1&keywords=ah-64d

Note: you can specify 1/35 scale in the checkout. I have their JGSDF decals and they look good, and while I haven’t yet tried their decals, others have on the CH-64 to good effect.

Cheers,  Tom

3 hours ago, Uncarina said:

Here you go: https://heli-scale-quality.de/advanced_search_result.php?categories_id=&inc_subcat=1&keywords=ah-64d

Note: you can specify 1/35 scale in the checkout. I have their JGSDF decals and they look good, and while I haven’t yet tried their decals, others have on the CH-64 to good effect.

Cheers,  Tom

To the rescue! Thanks so much, will take a look.