1/32 Short Stirling

tomprobert

• 2 weeks later...

Howdy, partners!

I’ve put aside other jobs on the Stirling for the time being as I was really keen to get the new canopy to fit. I hate dealing with transparencies and cockpits in general so felt it would be good, psychologically, to get this part done, and then hopefully it’ll just be a drop fit towards the end of the build. 

As you saw in the previous post, the kit canopy was too big and incorrectly shaped. When I cut the fuselage ages ago, I used the kit transparency as a guide, not realising at the time how ‘out’ it was. As a result, I’ve had to build up the fuselage around the cockpit to match the new canopy - plastic card and Milliput white has done the job without issue, and it now drops in perfectly!

A reminder of what I had in the kit:

53579505590_9baf5fdf06_b.jpg

And after a few hours tinkering:

53612453268_af236b33d6_b.jpg

53612583509_46a1d995d2_b.jpg

53612453283_48545f0cc4_b.jpg

53612453258_9a8c10a976_b.jpg

53612453208_ea08903ae2_b.jpg

That’ll do very nicely…

Until next time,

Tom

Posted (edited)
5 hours ago, brahman104 said:

That is insanely good Tom! Can you use any of the original canopy to make the "glass" in the new frame?

Craig

Thanks, Craig - Peter has also done me a vac canopy to sit below. The frame is thin enough for it to be added on top. Perfect solution!

5 hours ago, JayW said:

Awesome!!!  Stunned.  So, I guess I could ask Peter myself, but I am so curious what plans were used to make that 3D printed canopy part?  Just pictures?  

All a genius like Peter needed was some good pictures from multiple angles and a perfectly formed canopy appeared as if by magic…

2 hours ago, airscale said:

that looks fab Tom, so glad you could make it fit :)

It is so fragile I bet it's been heart in mouth working on it

Jay - I used some drawings and photo's I found on the internet so I think it's as close as I could get it ;)

Peter

It is indeed very fragile but held out ok. Obviously it gets a lot more strength when the vac canopy is below, but even then I won’t be resting it on its roof, so to speak, so the canopy and framing will be the very last bits to be added before I splash some paint. 

And thanks again for your help - you’ve captured the ‘look’ to perfection. 

Edited by tomprobert
Typos

55 minutes ago, JayW said:

So the canopy frame sits on top of a vac form.  How thick is the canopy frame?   

Correct. The framing is extremely thin - not much more than masking tape. I’d guess it’s about 0.25mm but Peter may know exactly.