Silver Wings Gauntlet II

mozart

6 hours ago, mozart said:

That’s pretty much the conclusion that I had come to OBG, over-sized radiator.  I didn’t think it was worth disturbing all that’s in that congested area just to get a couple of minor bracing wires in though. 

That looks like a good decision!  It is looking excellent Max!

Best regards,

Paul

The top wing is on!  Not without its trials and tribulations; first off (as Joachim predicted) putting the top centre section on first didn't work well, the margin of error for getting that square and central was too small and the chances of the wings being skewed and out of alignment too great, so that idea was abandoned, though there was a consequence which I've only just discovered.

So once the wing had been assembled and the struts glued in place on the lower wings, it was then "just" a question of lining everything up and gluing the wing in place.  Except of course it's never "just" a question!  Even with the plane mounted on the jig I still needed the capabilities of an octopus to hold everything in place and steady for gluing and setting.  For some reason I have a gap at the top of both port and starboard outer aft strut.....nothing that can't be easily overcome but odd nonetheless.  So the cabane struts, well one actually, that I "tweaked", now a little too short so I need to make a new one, again nothing too major.

Fln3YG.jpg

HSx4WF.jpg

gGlpAf.jpg

Thankfully though everything is square and stable.  My next task is the "X" rigging between front and rear struts (x4) then main rigging completion.  Starting to look like a proper Gauntlet now!! 

21 hours ago, mozart said:

The top wing is on!  Not without its trials and tribulations; first off (as Joachim predicted) putting the top centre section on first didn't work well, the margin of error for getting that square and central was too small and the chances of the wings being skewed and out of alignment too great, so that idea was abandoned, though there was a consequence which I've only just discovered.

So once the wing had been assembled and the struts glued in place on the lower wings, it was then "just" a question of lining everything up and gluing the wing in place.  Except of course it's never "just" a question!  Even with the plane mounted on the jig I still needed the capabilities of an octopus to hold everything in place and steady for gluing and setting.  For some reason I have a gap at the top of both port and starboard outer aft strut.....nothing that can't be easily overcome but odd nonetheless.  So the cabane struts, well one actually, that I "tweaked", now a little too short so I need to make a new one, again nothing too major.

Fln3YG.jpg

HSx4WF.jpg

gGlpAf.jpg

Thankfully though everything is square and stable.  My next task is the "X" rigging between front and rear struts (x4) then main rigging completion.  Starting to look like a proper Gauntlet now!! 

Indeed, looking absolutely stunning Sir. Mozart why were you not happy with the original cabane struts they look fine from here ? 

May I say your garden and potted plants look good too !

Regrds

jon

39 minutes ago, MARU5137 said:

GORGEOUS  work Max.

:bow:

Thank you Maru, it’s shaped up well but lots of patience testing fiddly bits loom!

35 minutes ago, jbrennan said:

Indeed, looking absolutely stunning Sir. Mozart why were you not happy with the original cabane struts they look fine from here ? 

May I say your garden and potted plants look good too !

Regrds

jon

Cheers Jon. Three of the cabane struts were fine but the forth one was like a short leg on a table, puts everything out of kilter! All fixed now though. The pots are all herbs, conveniently sited near the kitchen! 

27 minutes ago, Archimedes said:

Your Gauntlet is shaping up very nicely Max! Great work - I hope it feels like the hard yards are behind you now!

Best regards,

Paul

They are hopefully behind me Paul, but you can never tell when a “wobbily” might suddenly turn up! 

I can breathe a small sigh of relief because the "X" bracing wires are finished without too much hassle, one or two tested my patience but that is all that's required really with rigging:

64BMq0.jpg

I've yet to address the gap at the top of the rear strut!

KOYa6L.jpg

I'm quietly hopeful that the rest of the rigging will be straightforward, but time will tell.

12 hours ago, monthebiff said:

Nice work Max, what materials are you using for the rigging?

Regards. Andy 

Thanks Andy. My go-to rigging material is Prym (knitting in elastic), though it’s causing me a few problems in places this time because its cross section isn’t consistent. The consequence is that it won’t always fit into the fine micro-tubing that simulates Gloster’s turnbuckle arrangement. I’m getting there but it’s taking a long time and testing my patience to the nth degree! See also my post below :o:wacko::BANGHEAD2:

Edited by mozart

I’ll tell you a secret Mike, but keep it between ourselves…..shhhhh! Attempting to “push on” in a spare ill-considered moment a few days ago, the Gauntlet fell off its jig! Bloody disaster…..rudder broke off, top wing came off, rigging all over the place like spaghetti, gun sight disappeared (finally found it in the cockpit!). I nearly cried, nearly threw it across the room but managed to leave it and go outside for two vigorous hours’ work in the garden….working off my anger at my stupidity! :angry2:

So no, I won’t be rushing it! I’ve managed to sort it all out and put it all back in place, wiser and wrinklier! :coolio: