A-1H Skyraider

Dekon

So, as a few of you may have seen, I picked up a Trumpeter A-1D super cheap.  I just could not bring myself to paint a Skyraider GSB so it needs to be made as an A-1H.  So, I saw someone on eBay that sells parts for kits; they had just what I needed the fuselage and lower wing trees for the A-1H so I picked them up.  As far as I can tell right now all of the other parts to do the A-1H are in the box with the exception of the instrument panel decal for the A-1H and of course the decals.  Surprised I can not find any Navy decals for it. I am exactly looking for the Trumpeter A-1H decals to do the VA-176 bird.  As much as I think this scheme has been overdone, I just can not resist to do it in 1/32.  I am also still plugging away on the X-15 but it is so hot and humid here and I have to prime it outside because it does not fit in my spray booth.

So on to the Skyraider. 

Step one was to put the Wright 3350 together.  This is a kit in itself.  It builds up nicely.  I think it is missing the baffles that go between to cylinder rows but I am not worrying about that as I am building it with all the panels buttoned up.  I still need to rust up the exhausts a little more.

nzOHESY.jpg

z9DE2Lb.jpg

EzypRDl.jpg

Edited by Dekon

Up next was the cockpit.  Seeing as how the A-1D instrument panel is different from the A-1H, I was just going to use the correct panel without the decals and just paint the dials in.  But then I saw the build that Nighthawk Calling 1 has going on and saw the Quinta Studio instrument panel decals and I was hooked.  Ordered them up and set about working on it.

FLHKyGc.jpg

zzqAFzi.jpg

nf8S9T4.jpg

And finally the completed cockpit, instrument panel is not glued on yet.

pGa8x0M.jpg

VFLBpSv.jpg

So now I am at the point to get ready to button up the fuselage halves.  I must say, so far this kit has gone together very nicely.  I also closed up the ammo access panels on the wings and the dive brakes on the sides of the fuselages and they just dropped in.  So far I am really enjoying this kit.

On 7/24/2022 at 4:22 AM, MARU5137 said:

WOWZER ! Flawless  work. 

:thumbsup:

Love the cockpit and your detailing .

The instrument  panel is Top Notch.

Zoomed in to view the seatbelts.. they look SO good.

:clap2:

what did you use for the seatbelts as they look very real.

Keep up the EXCELLENT job. 

:bow:

Hi MARU, the seat belts are from the Quinta set and thanks for the compliments.

OK, so I am looking to see if anyone knows what part G18 is and what color it should be. It is between the seat and the side panel.

x6TqlWP.png

Also, looking to see how people would handle this; I am building the Skyraider with the wings unfolded.  I know from building Trumpeter's F8F that following their instructions made doing so a lot of work as nothing fit properly.  So I am thinking of attaching the lower wing center section to the fuselage first.  Then glue the two pieces of the upper wing together(figure I will be able to get a better fit) then glue on the lower outer panel.  Any other way of doing it?

On 7/25/2022 at 9:40 PM, John1 said:

If it helps, check out:

Virtual Tour - National Naval Aviation Museum

They have high definition "virtual" cockpits for most of their exhibits, including what appears to be a completely unrestored Skyraider.  

Thanks for that John

So it looks like that is the pilot's air line that his mask attaches to.

Edited by Dekon

• 3 months later...

So I am still plugging away on the Skyraider.  Just lost my mojo as you'll see. Got the fuselage all buttoned up and the wings on.  Not totally happy about the wing joints.  Before I assembled them I taped them up to check the fit, it looked great.  Glued the wings together and assembled, issues.  There is a slight step in the outer panels to inner panels.  When I had taped up the wings, I did not think of included the inner panels that go in the "open" end of the wings.  Made the outer wing panels slightly thicker, never thought to check that.  Well, live and learn.  Put the step on the underside so hopefully between the ordinance under wings will "mask" it a little bit.  Went to Disney with the family at the end of August and she has been sitting since.  But recently picked it up again and painted the Mk. 82s. 

E6emgpz.jpg

fsjF9h9.jpg

Next on the list is to paint the Coroguard on the leading edges and cowl.

Edited by Dekon