The Australian Model Expo 2022

LSP_Kevin

The Australian Model Expo is a 3-day event normally held in Melbourne on the Queen's Birthday long weekend. This year, however, it got bumped back a week by a horse race (it's held at the Sandown Racecourse), and rescheduled from a Sat-Mon event to a Fri-Sun one. Thanks to the pandemic, the event was cancelled the previous two years, so this is the first time it has run since 2019. I attended yesterday, and despite also living in Melbourne, the venue is still a 90-minute drive from where I live - I could fly to Sydney in that time! It was great to catch up with friends and fellow modellers from around Australia, many of whom I hadn't seen in all that time.

I'll be back on Sunday (tomorrow), but in the meantime, here are some photos of the LSP entries into the competition:

LgtZ2Z.jpg

K4l67P.jpg

302xAP.jpg

FYDoN6.jpg

keMj7F.jpg

MQrACE.jpg

CSwhqU.jpg

5dlEQw.jpg

4zCw2T.jpg

NQyIaq.jpg

i9zXNJ.jpg

5EY0UY.jpg

gwXLpB.jpg

Ek09r3.jpg

nQp6rg.jpg

tcPRdH.jpg

lnHKjC.jpg

QLdeVt.jpg

ZfEh5Q.jpg

Mv69Tf.jpg

7wnY3q.jpg

wViVyI.jpg

y4CH6e.jpg

ZVe7J1.jpg

zXGOl5.jpg

p7BmsW.jpg

6wIcVP.jpg

8Dtki9.jpg

6KODng.jpg

a6pyr4.jpg

dzR4r9.jpg

nCBH8c.jpg

And here was my own token entry into the show - non-LSP ironically!

R0Q08Y.jpg

I also recorded a brief interview with Dave from the On the Bench podcast, but apparently he lost the audio file! Perhaps we can have another go when I'm back there tomorrow.

Kev

3 minutes ago, LSP_K2 said:

I like that Bronco a lot. Thanks, Kev. Good luck with your entry.

The Bronco is our own Eric's build, along with the P-40. My own entry is just a token thing to allow me to gain the free weekend pass, and not a serious competitor.

Kev

7 hours ago, Oldbaldguy said:

Ya know, I look at pix of other people’s models and wonder why I even bother.

I'm just the opposite; it just makes me want to build even more.

21 minutes ago, scvrobeson said:

Was there any info on that Beaufort build? Who makes a kit of that?

Matt 

The Beaufort is a conversion of the Revell Beaufighter by my friend Les Applebee (Uncle Les on Facebook and elsewhere). He designed and 3D-printed all the Beaufort bits, and combined them with the relevant kit parts to produce what you see. I've bugged him to print me up a set of parts, but to no avail.

Kev

5 hours ago, Dpgsbody55 said:

Some great looking models there.  Love the Beaufort, P-40 and ME-163 especially, but all are very good.  Looking forward to seeing more pics if you post them, Kev.

Cheers,

Michael

PS.

90 minutes drive??  That's nothing.  It's an almost six day drive for me :lol:.

6 days, you going via Darwin or something? LOL.  3 days Perth to Melb if you plan it right. It is only 3400Kms.

Edited by Maxim61

OK, 3 more photos of models that I missed on Friday - I think they arrived after I left. They're all by modeller Brad Fallen, who I think is a member here.

e4GCz8.jpg

WCJUsF.jpg

qpsK0n.jpg

The Buchon build claimed a much-deserved second place, and uses the same conversion as the one I'm currently working on. Shows just how good it is much better than my own effort! I didn't take any photos of non-LSPs, but there are plenty if those on Facebook now.

My own Snowspeeder was rightly ignored for the winners circle, but I'm aiming to do better next year. Congrats to all the organisers and volunteers for a terrific event, which turned out to be a record-breaking one for competition entries. Great to finally have a local model show again!

Kev