Trumpeter 1/32 SU-27 - Ukrainian Air force (plus aftermarket & scratchbuild)

tomfomes

Hi everyone, this is my first thread on the forum and first 1:32 model which I am actually planning to finish. I have started a 1/32 F-14D a few years ago, but didn’t get past the cockpit, landing gears and some extra details which I made up. That model is still waiting for me in the box and might as well be the next after this one.

So my plan is to build an Ukrainian air force SU-27 in the blue digital camo (not decided on the number yet). The loadout will include 4x Archer missiles, 6x Alamo-C missiles as you can see on the below photo. Please let me know if I’m wrong about the identification of these rockets, as I am not so familiar with Russian weaponry yet.

I have bought the set of 4x Archer, 2x Alamo-C & 2x Alamo-B missiles from Zactoman, so I might use these at the end, but I will see.

g0nXzdLZ-h3tpk10vJ5YE-ek-pvX1psJzhG4p96e

Here is nice photo of the beautiful blue digital camouflage that the Ukrainian air force uses:

Pxn4xuTf0CePaOPCW2SfxI-h0twlM0ymCvORbzlW

So this is the list of aftermarket items & tools I am planning to use for this project (I will update the list if something is added later):

• Trumpeter 1/32 SU-27 Flanker B
  • Aires 1/32 SU-27 B detail set (cockpit, wheel bays, exhausts)
  • Eduard 1/32 SU-27 Big Ed photo etched parts (interior, exterior, seat, masks)
  • Eduard 1/32 SU-27 masks (canopy, wheels)
  • Master 1/32 SU-27 Pitot tube
  • ResKit 1/32 SU-27 Wheels set Late Version
  • Quickboost 1/32 SU-27 UB seats (option to Aires seats)
  • Quickboost 1/32 SU-27 Pitot tubes
  • Zactomodels 1/32 SU-27 Nose correction
  • Zactomodels 1/32 SU-27 Intakes correction
  • Zactomodels 1/32 SU-27 Pylons set
  • Zactomodels 1/32 SU-27 Missiles
  • Foxbot 1/32 SU-27 Ukrainian decals
  • Foxbot 1/32 SU-27 Ukrainian Air forces digital masks
  • Hataka SU-27 Ukrainian digital camo acrylic paint set
  • ANYZ 1/48 & 1/32 Universal Labels and Stencils AN001, AN003, AN005, AN006
  • ANYZ Universal Placards & Symbols (Chrome & Aluminium) Scale Independent AN048, AN050
  • ANYZ 1/48 & 1/32 Universal Placards & Symbols AN020
  • ANYZ Universal Lines (Chrome/Aluminium) AN052, AN053, AN054, AN055
  • ANYZ 1/38 & 1/32 Dials, Knobs, Switches AN024, AN028, AN029, AN031, AN033, AN034, AN035, AN036
  • ANYZ 1/32 Cockpit handles AN030
  • ANYZ Hatching Lines (Black & White) AN049
  • ANYZ Universal cockpit dials AN038
  • ANYZ Line connectors (scale independent) AN016, AN017
  • ANYZ Nuts & Washers AN018, AN019

Apart from this I might do some scratch building on the way.

m2nQVOS_CEB0hc2MITEsbjMI7lyeTDDfM62Mht9n

AvVc97yUmtIrUAvJ2r04Wr7IJFvVAfUB8vPCoct-

AM-JKLWIu6B9F6I8hZQ-Mk5bl9sVvQC5qHaXpEQ4

Not much progress has been made at the moment, but I have started with fitting the Aires cockpit. I have noticed some kind of molding lines on both sides of the upper front fuselage. Looking at the walkaround photos I couldn’t confirm that these should be there, so I made a decision to get rid of them! Hopefully I will not regret it. :)

NhK7YlHqKWN1e0CK7e4mAxpDHu8vCeVUBCrB5tWZ

fRTm7xvh9m9U6qhuDG1pHkswmv0VttbB9xOLzaiV

No way back…

3YgdKRND4ojHFkV9L7XSU4CIrUiw7-_UZ0AZ7HYs

And violà… gone forever.

EjBm0AHTNiph1KVUdtOba2oHQt1Kcc2-C2aPCpzV

For the cockpit to fit, you have to sand off around 1.0-1.5mm of the edges on both sides on the cockpit opening as you can see already done on the above & below photos. There’s some sanding needed also on the cockpit sides as well.

Unfortunately my cockpit from Aires came with some small parts broken (see below). First I wanted to repair it myself, but then I made a decision to order another one (hopefully with no damage) and use this one to figure out how to fit it properly. Then with the new one it should be easier and no risky manhandling will be required.

hojQbgQO8M0iao_v0uPiCsMiKA0CoQ_zKn05LIGh

That’s it for now. Next will be dry fitting of the aires front wheel bay and then I can start with the cockpit painting.

If someone could recommend good literature about the SU-27 (history, walkarounds) this would be highly appreciated. Thank you.

Wish me luck and thanks for watching.

Tomas

Edited by tomfomes

Hi everyone!

First of all thanks for the useful reference info and videos.

I am sorry the photos are not showing up. I have added photos via Google photos on ARC forums and it worked without an issue. I have tried uploading borh PNG and JPEG files and posting here, but they seem to disappear after some time for some reason.. I have re-added the photos in the post again just now and will see if they stick this time. If not, I will upload the photos to some other website. Any favourite/recommended photo storage websites?

Thanks,

Tomas