Hasegawa P-47D, Gabby Gabreski 1944

6 hours ago, Phantom2 said:

Nice work soo far! :clap2:

You´ll be better off painting those stripes!

I had a real hell to get those decals in place, lucky for me, I had two kits so I had a lot of spare stripes and that saved me (and my build)!

Cheers!

Stefan :beer:

Thanks Stefan. 

I'm finding myself in unfamiliar territory again... I started masking off for the D-Day stripes on the fuselage, and as some probably already guessed the masking is lifting the national insignia decals. I was hoping a good coat of clear would keep that from happening. It didn't. I can repair the stars and bars as they are now, but if I get more lifting, I'll probably need to remove them and start fresh.

So... my question is whether to finish masking and painting the stripes, or should I remove the remaining decals and do whatever repairs to the paint 1st? 

Maybe paint the stars and bars on, then go back to the invasion stripes?

I hate do overs.........

Andy

Thanks Bill

It's been a learning experience for sure. Without your help, both personal, and your build thread, I wouldn't have nearly as nice a model as I have at this point. You definitely inspire me to get out of my comfort zone, to try and build a better model than I would have on my own.

Thank you again

Andy

Thanks Michael. 

It's still going good. Just a minor set back. It will be a better model, and I'll be a better modeler because of it. Bill is cutting some masks for me, so I can paint the insignias and I already have the repairs mostly done (primered anyway) and will shoot some color tomorrow. 

Andy

AsRemU.jpg

Hey Andy, yeah I'd restore the cammo first, then the national insig, then the stripes as you'll

want to use the insig as a reference.  Try some Solvaset or Micro Sol to soften the decals you

want to remove then some real sticky tape. 

Have fun  :whistle:

Edited by MikeMaben

3 hours ago, MikeMaben said:

Hey Andy, yeah I'd restore the cammo first, then the national insig, then the stripes as you'll

want to use the insig as a reference.  Try some Solvaset or Micro set to soften the decals you

want to remove then some real sticky tape. 

Have fun  :whistle:

Thanks Mike. 

I did the tape trick and got a lot of the decal off. Then I used IA and a bunch of Q-tips to get the rest off. It never even occurred to me to use the Solvaset instead of IA. 

Thanks for the tip. I'll definitely do that next time. Of the two decals I probably got 75% off with just the tape

Andy

Thanks  Ernest,

I just fit the SOW gear on the plane. They are really nice, and look great. I made new shrink struts, and I'm going to try my hand at brake lines. I'll see how well that turns out