Hasegawa P-47D, Gabby Gabreski 1944

After getting my own cowling glued up and into place, and reading Bill's (Citadelgrad) build log, I now understand what he meant about moving the engine mount on the model. There must be at least a 1mm step from the cowl to the fuselage that shouldn't be there. Doh!

I'm going to follow Bill's lead, and cut the mounting surface off of the model, and move it south to get the cowling and fuselage to line up correctly. (I knew this was going WAY too smooth, lol).

TJp8So.jpg

1 hour ago, Juggernut said:

Don't forget to add the saw width styrene plug or your engine will set back too far which may or may not present issues. :)

The way the engine, cowling, and cowl flaps go together, they make an entire subassembly with the cowl flaps part attaching to, or becoming the firewall. the width of the saw blade made no difference in how far the engine set back. You made me check though.

Thanks, I hate do overs.;)

It was a much easier fix than what it looked and sounded like. (at least to me)

I cut the stub/mount off and moved it 1mm down and reattached it with some CA. Easy peasy. 

JRByxs.jpg

sIwK3u.jpg

JJWFo6.jpg

YElCSh.jpg

Edited by Ayovan

R

2 hours ago, Citadelgrad said:

Yeah, me, too.   I was really worried, but it was a simple cut and glue and it was over.  Great work so far!

Reading over your build log Bill, has helped me a couple times now. Your model is turning out fantastic. I can only hope one day I can obtain something even remotely close to quality of your build. 

Edited by Ayovan

5 hours ago, Ayovan said:

R

Reading over your build log Bill, has helped me a couple times now. Your model is turning out fantastic. I can only hope one day I can obtain something even remotely close to quality of your build. 

Wow, thank you for the kind words.  Much appreciated.   

5 hours ago, Greif8 said:

Great looking work so far man, and good fix on the engine mounting issue.  I plan to build this kit sometime in the future so I am taking notes.  

Ernest

Thanks Ernest. The information available on this forum has been invaluable, as far as helping me build a little better model with each new build. Lots of very talented folks here, willing to share their knowledge.

2 hours ago, Ayovan said:

Thanks Ernest. The information available on this forum has been invaluable, as far as helping me build a little better model with each new build. Lots of very talented folks here, willing to share their knowledge.

Very true my friend.  I have certainly learned a lot and had some great fellowship along the way!

Ernest

On 4/8/2022 at 8:31 PM, Citadelgrad said:

Oh, yeah, yours looks fine.  Mine protrudes a lot more. Ill have to see what i can do.  

ps, this reminds me of my least favorite part of this build—the cowl seams run right through the large cowling latches, those were a bear to get rid of.  Save some time and make some out of scrap pe or fine styrene sheet.  I did it the hard way…

Hdrb0B.jpg

Bill, I tried to do the cowling latches the way you suggested. PE didn't conform to well to the compound radius, so after several attempts I gave up on that. The styrene seem to work well with just a tiny drop of CA. I think with a little sanding to take the edges down some it will look ok.

LctNjR.jpg

1 hour ago, Ayovan said:

Bill, I tried to do the cowling latches the way you suggested. PE didn't conform to well to the compound radius, so after several attempts I gave up on that. The styrene seem to work well with just a tiny drop of CA. I think with a little sanding to take the edges down some it will look ok.

LctNjR.jpg

That looks excellent!   What a shortcut to the 6-10 fill sank CRACK fill sand cycle I was in.   It really looks good. 

I got a little progress today. Glued the engine, and cowling to the fuselage, got some color on the cowling, and prop, and assembled the flaps (not installed, just test fitted).

pMLGdN.jpg

sLHZWu.jpg

The wife went with her sister to the Disneyland resort and left me home. She told me to fend for myself for dinner, and go to McDonald's or something. Yeah, right...I cooked for myself instead. That'll teach her to leave me home alone...LOL  

EDIT: sorry Maru.......

9o7P6a.jpg

Edited by Ayovan