1/35 KH HH-60L Medevac hoist rescue "Wildcat 097" nose missle warning sensors

Hawkwrench

After seeing Pete's HH-60G inflight display and going back and forth if I should or not, I've decided to TRY and build an inflight display of a HH-60L black hawk medevac hoisting up a injured civilian.

This build is based off of a true rescue that happened back in 2019.

Here's the background of the rescue.

Wildcat DUSTOFF made headlines this weekend for conducting a MEDEVAC mission in the Red River Gorge Saturday evening May 18 2019. After the first call was made by civilian SAR, Wildcat 097, a HH-60L was on scene within an hour to MEDEVAC a critical patient on top of Natural Bridge.  Due to the location, the patient had to be extracted with the rescue hoist.  History was made as this was the first rescue hoist mission of a civilian conducted by a KY Army National Guard aircraft and crew inside the Commonwealth.  

This will be a long build and I am having to scratchbuild ALOT of stuff since no one has the AM things I need.

You've seen the EKG monitor I'm working on and also I am making a internal fuel tank that the HH-60L carries.

Will post more pics soon!

Chow for now!

Tim

Edited by Hawkwrench

I'm trying to transfer the EKG build over to this build thread.

Since it was a med bird and no one has a resin monitor, I decided to scratchbuild one.

My first attempt came out looking like a 80's boom box, so I started over and I think this time, it looks alot more realistic. The knobs are 1/32 Anyz resin knobs. Next, I added the shock paddles and wiring from .015 lead wire wrapped around a drill bit.

I still need to add the back pouch and it will be finished.

20210710_224728

Chow for now 

Tim

Awesome Tim-

Glad that you pulled the trigger on this project! The EKG box looks great-off to a great start!

I know that you’ve been thinking/planning this build for a while now, and I’ll be cheering you on the whole way brother. I can picture the scene in my mind, and look forward to watching you pull it all together! 

cheers

Pete

Thanks Pete! You and your build are my teacher for this one.

So a little info on the HH-60L. It is a standard UH-60L that has been converted to a medevac role. The hoist that is installed is a better one than the hoists that are installed on the M models. 

It is attached to the ESSS mounts and alot of crew chiefs like them better.

Other than a special medical interior setup, the helicopter is pretty much the same as the newer M model.

The HH-60L has the non-folding stabilator and has the FLIR attached to the left main landing gear sponson. 

1585390-large

This is the only pic that was taken that day thst shows the civilian in a SKEDCO being hoisted up with the civilian EMT attached to the hoist and this is how my display will look  (I hope). 

Screenshot_20210222-215624_Chrome

Chow for now!

Tim

• Hawkwrench changed the title to 1/35 KH HH-60L Medevac hoist rescue "Wildcat 097" Internal fuel tank

Tonight, I was able to start on the 200 gal internal fuel tank that the HH-60L carries on board.

I'm lucky that I have a friend who works for the Robertson Fuel tank company and he sent me some pics of the tank plumbing on top.

Here's what the real tank plumbing looks like:

20210716_225756

And here's what I've built. All that's left is to make the 4 tank handles for the sides.

20210716_230456

20210716_232521

I'm no Chuck or Pete, But just trying to do the best I can. Hope to get there someday! Lol

Chow for now!

Tim

Edited by Hawkwrench

14 hours ago, Squizzy said:

Not too many of us can do it like Chuck or Pete, but that’s some pretty tidy scratch building you’ve got going on there!

Thanks Squizzy. I have a AM guy who wants it so he can cast them in resin.

All I have left to do is make and glue the 4 handles on it and then I'll mail it off and hopefully the helo modelers will have a internal fuel tank to add to their models. 

Tim

4 hours ago, MARU5137 said:

Tim, 

Superb start with FLAWLESS  scratchbuilding.

Following with much enthusiasm. 

Looking forward to your Diorama build.

:punk:

:thumbsup:

Thanks Maru!

Glad you like it. 

Only Pete's, Oliver's and Chuck's stuff is flawless though. 

My stuff???, Eh, will see!

Tim

• Hawkwrench changed the title to 1/35 KH HH-60L Medevac hoist rescue "Wildcat 097" Internal fuel tank done
13 minutes ago, shark64 said:

Tim,

Amazing work on the tank...keep pushing my friend, I believe in you. 

Thanks Oliver.

Unfortunately (or fortunately) I have to scratchbuild ALOT of stuff for this helicopter seeing no AM company has the things I need including Wernerswings. 

So I'm gonna get a bunch of practice at scratchbuilding! YIKES!!!

Tim

31 minutes ago, Pete Fleischmann said:

Nicely done there Tim- you should be proud of that tank

cheers

Pete

Thanks Pete!

I'm a little proud that I made that. Next to the IP and center consoles I scratchbuilt for Wernerswings H-60 sets, this is the biggest and most complicated piece I've built. 

Tim