1/32 Tamiya Thunderbird F-16C

LSP_Ron

On 4/7/2021 at 4:31 PM, Helmsman said:

SprueBrothers has it in stock. Bloody expensive though.

Maybe it's sold out, but I just see the Academy F-16I and Tamiya F-16CJ (Block 50) on their site.

I purchased the necessary sprues a while ago, and passed the intake to a friend who wanted to improve the Academy kit.  I mainly wanted the P&W exhausts and launchers (this was before ResKit did their beautiful exhausts). Apparently it wasn't too difficult to modify.  Now, Zactomodels make a small mouth improvement for the Academy kit, so maybe it is possible to tweak this to fit the Tamiya kit?  Combine with a ResKit exhaust, the only things missing are the early Sidewinder launchers, "flat" main wheel doors and lightweight main gear legs if required...

• 2 years later...

Yes, they can release it in animé pink and it would work with primer and paint with AM decals if they don't think the Thunderbirds will sell any more. Sadly, as Thierry points out, Tamiya don't reissue kits in new markings without new parts, and as there are unlikely to be any new parts and the Thunderbirds markings are "obsolete" there's little hope of the kit reappearing. But please prove me wrong Tamiya. 

Frankly, I'd prefer the CJ reissued as a Block 40 CG with wide angle raster-scan HUD and LANTIRN gear, or as a latterday CM with the newer targeting pods and whot-not. Groovy. But unlikely also.

With F-16MLUs in the Ukraine by next Summer, maybe ResKit will get around to making backdate sets for the fin (vert stab) and undercart (MLG etc).

Tony 

Hey Tamiya-

here’s an awesome idea:

release an “all in one” F-16 kit with sprues from the Thunderbirds kit and the CJ, so I can build virtually any C model F-16. Include decals for whatever you think will sell-

Then:

create a stand-alone injection molded D model conversion that you could sell separately. The parts break down of the C kits would make this super easy.

your welcome.

P

I genuinely am baffled by some of Tamiyas business decisions, especially related to 1/32 scale stuff. I know it's expensive to produce and can be risky..but Trumpeter and HKM don't seem to be too put off from cranking out some 1/32 jets with fairly impressive frequency..yet some absolute money printers are just left on the table with Tamiya..

A new tool 1/32 F-14? Super Hornet? 

Ah well. 

Yes, a "Omni-Viper" kit would be great. 

Trumpeter’s rate of releasing any 1/32 kits, much less jets, has slacked off greatly since they started about 20 years ago.  Other than the much delayed TBD and some meh F-35s, Trumpeter hasn’t done much in 1/32 over the last couple of years.  For HKM, their single jet kit, the Meteor F.4, was almost 10 years ago.  Other than the new A-20 series, their other recent 1/32 kits are reboxings or variants of previous kits.

7 minutes ago, Dave Williams said:

Trumpeter’s rate of releasing any 1/32 kits, much less jets, has slacked off greatly since they started about 20 years ago.  Other than the much delayed TBD and some meh F-35s, Trumpeter hasn’t done much in 1/32 over the last couple of years.  For HKM, their single jet kit, the Meteor F.4, was almost 10 years ago.  Other than the new A-20 series, their other recent 1/32 kits are reboxings or variants of previous kits.

True, ever since 2020 my sense of time is completely out of whack 

The F-16 series is in need of a revamp and an extension to the A(M), B(M), E/F range...

However, the Thunderbird version is a sought after version as it has the basic building blocks to turn it into an A/B model. We'll see. There is a lot of aftermarket now to convert, but that makes it a expensive project.

Also, Tamiya has not done a dual at all (yet).