"Your Spitfire I believe Sir?"

mozart

Aye mate give it a go on a tester - I said the same at the time Mal told me. But then you would do it for a decal! I have definatly had less problems with paint lifting sinse I have started doing it this way.

As said depends on what and how i'm applying the mask - on or over!

Taff

4 hours ago, TaffyMan said:

Hi Max love it mate - this is going to look super cool when it’s all finished. :thumbsup:

Answer your question about spraying a light clear under the masks - yes I do but a very thin coat it seems to help the mask to stick and less chance of paint liffting. I also get less bleed along any panel lines. I still warm it with may finger heat and run a toothpick gently along it to make sure. It was a Tip I got from Mal at Miraclemasks. Don’t use it every time Max depends what i’m doing but on a job over camo then yes I would.

Happy Days - Taff "D

Another one for my notes! Thanks for the tip.

Cheers,  Tom

Final stages, whole roundels put back in place then red centre removed, replaced and blue outer done:

plVuec.jpg

The transfer piece here is sold for Cricut machines - low tack, completely clear (which is a distinct advantage) and with the grid on it which helps: 

eO02z3.jpg

and before very long at all:

jj0zwh.jpg

MeGYL2.jpg

:thumbsup:

Cheers Kev! Whenever I use masks my first thoughts are about the sequence of colours so that I have to remove and replace as few areas as possible, or those that I do are the easiest ones. So it’s far easier to put the red centre spot back in place than the narrow outer ring for instance. Anything for a quiet life! :coolio:

Edited by mozart

On 3/28/2021 at 12:41 AM, Alain Gadbois said:

On the subject of masks, I agree with RLWP: using paper with just a tiny space from the kit surface will give you just the right feathering and I would not risk pulling off any paint underneath.

Alain

In this case, a piece of thick paper/thin card cut smaller than the mask, the mask being taped on:

DSCF1616.JPG

Richard