Plastic Preparation After Sanding and Scribing

Good evening Guys,

I have a question regarding getting all the sanding dust out of the newly scribed panel lines. I have sanded all the raised panel lines off and re-scribed new panel lines on the 1/32 REVELL P-51 B. Now the plastic is nice and smooth but the newly scribed lines are full of sanding dust. Any suggestions on how to clear them out before I apply primer? I don’t want to have ally my time and work covered with layers of paint. Looking forward to your comments.

Thanks,

Jim

I second the toothbrush method, but a secondary technique I use after that is to run a tiny amount of liquid cement (Tamiya Extra Thin is ideal) along the newly-scribed lines. This not only helps with dissolving any sanding detritus, but also assists in tidying up the lines a little, and helps make them look like an integrated part of the moulding, rather than scribed-in trenches.

Kev

20 hours ago, James Rademaker said:

I’ll try the stipple brush.

Thanks,

Jim

If you need more stiffness, you can trim the bristles.  I always have a few stipple brushes around to clean up sanding/trimming excess.  They also work well for the hairspray chipping technique.

9 hours ago, John Stambaugh said:

I use an airgun on the garage air compressor to blast away sanding debri just before heading to the paint booth. A soft rubber nozzle and up to 40 psi works well. 

What a great idea!  Maybe I'll try to use my airbrush loaded with water as a power blaster.

Sarcasm? Allow me to explain. Sanding debri will get down in the gap between control surfaces where mechanical means cannot reach. Then during airbrushing the debri is lifted out where it lands onto the wet paint. Using air pressure to remove contaminants prior to painting is the most thorough remedy that works for me.

On 2/12/2021 at 2:47 AM, John Stambaugh said:

Sarcasm? Allow me to explain. Sanding debri will get down in the gap between control surfaces where mechanical means cannot reach. Then during airbrushing the debri is lifted out where it lands onto the wet paint. Using air pressure to remove contaminants prior to painting is the most thorough remedy that works for me.

Not sarcasm... totally serious! I have a problem with my rivets getting filled with sanding dust, especially if there is a primer coat. I thought that I could use an airbrush loaded with water to clean the surface of the model prior to painting. I’ve done the toothbrush/paintbrush thing and it is only partially effective on rivets.