Hasegawa 1/32 P 47D

duke_

Hello!

i am sharing some photos from one of my current projects... This is the Hasegawa 1/32 P-47 D thunderbolt

i bought this excellent cockpit from MDC many years ago and finally i decided to give it a try !

i am very pleased with the level of detail and fitting on the kit! especially with the painting mask!!! looks so realistic!

i have added some extra data plates, stencils and seatbelts from HGW and YAHU instrument panel

its painted with AK Real Color air  lacquers.. Its my first try on these paints..

Weathering is done with oil colours..

thank you!

ziR3a5u.jpg

bbzqdGW.jpg

xzna7OP.jpg

5UBUdjF.jpg

X5VV8fK.jpgJbhhSc2.jpg

Edited by duke_

18 hours ago, AlbertD said:

Your engine looks amazing. May I ask the paints and chipping method you used on the zinc chromate frame around the engine? It's some of the most realistic I have seen.

18 hours ago, Landrotten Highlander said:

I was wondering about that too.  Love the realism in there.

thank you @AlbertD @Landrotten Highlander for your comments

i will gladly describe the method i am using..

first of all i think that in large scales you have to be more accurate than 48th or 72nd kits. So for me chipping has to be in levels and not as post weathering with pencils or sponges..  The airframe metal is one or more levels below the camouflage colour and not above, so i am using hairspray because i am happy with the end results.

the truth is that is more time consuming and there is always the risk to ruin the paint job because you can't control how the paint is gonna lift..

now for the specific cowling i used the following colors with this specific order from left to right,

Actually you can use whatever you want for the metallic base / not just alclad .

So, i spray i light coat of hairspray and after about 30 minutes i give a black matt coat as a base for the deepest shadows. For this aircraft i have used AK REAL COLOR lacquers which are much harder than water based acrylics. I sprayed very thin coats of interior yellow green as base color, and then zinc chromate on top. i dont spray directly the zinc chromate because i like to create depth..

so , after a half an hour( or you can do it right away ) with a hard brush or toothpick or whatever is appropriate you start to remove the paint carefully using water..

that is all .. there is no rule just your personal taste , or actual references i there is any.. 

if i am not sure how far to go, i stop and i am looking again on the results another day (yes you can do it another day but it needs much more patience.. especially with lacquers)

and last , extensive wash with oil colours including black, burnt umber , burnt siena, raw umber green shade

IN1ylth.jpg

Edited by duke_

• 2 months later...