P-51D 47th FS / 15th FG, Iwo Jima 1945 [TAM 1:32] - DONE

Squadron colors.  This was a surprising amount of work - probably six hours worth over three days.  But worth it for a pretty clean result.  I'll paint the serial numbers and nose art next.  Then I need to decide if I'm going to paint the stars & bars or use the HGW transfers for them.  If they work, the HGW transfers should look excellent, but I've never used ones nearly that big before, so am a bit apprehensive about the possibility of incomplete transfer.  Which would end up with me having to remove them and paint the insignia anyways.

pmdTMXq0j

I'm really liking how this is shaping up.  The horizontal stabilizers are just slipped in place for now - will glue them once painting is 100% complete.

pnyZfO1Qj

While doing the whole yellow/black thing I forgot about the disassembled version of the machine gun bay covers.  So I'll need to go back and do them.

po694JwPj

5 hours ago, Out2gtcha said:

Most excellent! 

3 hours ago, dodgem37 said:

Smooth as silk.  Wonderful updates.

Sincerely,

Mark

56 minutes ago, Panzerwomble said:

Really beautiful work on this paint , the finish and precision is quite exquisite .  :goodjob:

Thank you, gentlemen.  I'm happy with how things are proceeding, but also nervous!  I really don't want to screw something up now that I'm into the endgame...

The cowling cover pieces fit perfectly (Tamiya) of course...

portgELMj

This is the rest of the lettering painted.

pmoF07ocj

pmNo1hjjj

pmTrxrEqj

I did a test run with one of the HGW stars & bars on the underside of the wing.  I figured that's the least visible spot if it goes badly and I have to figure out how to get it off and paint instead.  I'm waiting until tomorrow morning to peel the transfer film (little strips of foil are holding edges of it up so it's easy to grab).

pnAMyPmcj

If those transfers work well, then the only painting left is the flat black cockpit sill area and the olive drab anti-glare panel on top of the cowl.  Then all of the HGW stencils, and weathering with pastels.  But it's not inconceivable that it's done by the end of the month, which is kind of what I was aiming at.

1 hour ago, misha71 said:

what a neat job

amazing painting

Thanks!  The secret is the Silhouette Cameo.  Being able to custom make adhesive vinyl painting masks is a complete game changer.  Largely frees you from the need to find a decal sheet for the specific aircraft that you want to model.

7 hours ago, dmthamade said:

The paint work is so clean and sharp, Great work!! Have to ask, what paint are you using for the black and yellow?

Don

The black and yellow were done as follows:

1. Undercoat with Mr. Color Gloss White

2. Paint the yellow with MRP 142 - US Dark Orange Yellow WW2

3. mask over the yellow after giving it one day to cure and paint the black with a mix of 95% Mr Color Flat Black (C-33) and 5% Mr Color Gloss White 

So predictably, when things seem to be going well, I’ve hit a snag.  As I feared, the large HGW wet transfer did not work well.  The blue pretty much transferred ok, but the white areas stuck hard to the transfer film - either peeled up with it or held chunks of it to the surface.

So the first problem is how to get it off without wrecking the paint too much.  Maybe MicroSol is a good place to start.  Then paint the insignia, which should be ok.  I need to do some tests to see if I can get white to be acceptably opaque over dark blue or if I need to paint the white first.

But more significantly, I wonder if there’s anything wrong with this sheet of HGW transfers.  The one I used for my zero worked great, and I’m using this one the same way.  I really don’t want to consider using the kit decals for stencils - way too much decal film messing up that NMF surface.

Suggestions are welcome at this point...

And thinking back to my Zero build, which was the first time I used the HGW wet transfers, when I first got the A6M Zero sheet I went to peel off the protective layer of translucent wax paper type stuff from the top, and inadvertently peeled off the clear transfer film along with it.  This is easy to do if you are not used to these things and don’t know what to expect (I think Chuck actually just had the same experience over on his Starfighter build).  So after briefly freaking out, I carefully laid the clear film back down over the decals, buffed it down a bit, and hoped it would still work.  And it did.

In light of what happened with the stars & bars transfer attempt, and a bit of similar trouble I had with one of the drop tank transfers not completely releasing, I wonder if that slip with the transfer film was a feature rather than a bug.  Maybe I should intentionally peel off the clear film and reapply it before doing anything else with this HGW sheet...

• Alex changed the title to P-51D 47th FS / 15th FG, Iwo Jima 1945 [TAM 1:32] - DONE