Zimmert use on aircraft?

Who wrote the book Mustangs of the  Southern Star, and when/where was it published.  Google can't find any such reference nor can Amazon.  I gotta see cement on the leading edges of P-51's.

10 minutes ago, Juggernut said:

Who wrote the book Mustangs of the  Southern Star, and when/where was it published.  Google can't find any such reference nor can Amazon.  I gotta see cement on the leading edges of P-51's.

You have to think a bit laterally. Southern Star is unlikely, they call it the Southern Cross:

https://www.redroomodels.com/product/southern-cross-mustangs/

https://www.redroomodels.com/wp-content/uploads/2019/05/mustangs.jpg

Richard

MORE: Some resin to support 1/32 Mustangs: https://www.redroomodels.com/product-category/conversions/red-roo-resin-1-32/

Edited by RLWP

25 minutes ago, RLWP said:

You have to think a bit laterally. Southern Star is unlikely, they call it the Southern Cross:

https://www.redroomodels.com/product/southern-cross-mustangs/

https://www.redroomodels.com/wp-content/uploads/2019/05/mustangs.jpg

Richard

MORE: Some resin to support 1/32 Mustangs: https://www.redroomodels.com/product-category/conversions/red-roo-resin-1-32/

Sorry, that was my mistake. The correct name of the book is, indeed, "Mustangs of the Southern Cross" by David Muir, a superb book. I posted the mentioned photo in this thread (towards the end):

Radu

Edited by Radub

Strange, I didn't see the photos, all I got was a huge  circled dash...no image.

Also, that's one expensive book....

I'm curious as to why cement was used on the leading edges of the wings...seems counterproductive.

Edited by Juggernut

I still think it was done to increase damage resistance. If you read the caption of that photo, it notes that the planes were extremely worn and chipped by the sand and gravel of their Italian airfields kicking up on the planes, and it notes that the "stucco" portion of the wing is not as worn. It seems to imply, but does not directly state, that the stucco was the reason.

I also noted that the stucco portion in the photo is the inner portion of the wing, nearest the fuselage. Undoubtedly, that area behind the prop would take the worst beating from sand kicked up during takeoff and landing. No idea if the whole leading edge would have been coated with it, but maybe.

Very interesting bit of info. I have never encountered this before. I wonder if it was a common thing.

Tim

8 hours ago, Juggernut said:

Strange, I didn't see the photos, all I got was a huge  circled dash...no image.

Also, that's one expensive book....

I'm curious as to why cement was used on the leading edges of the wings...seems counterproductive.

I thought you saw the photo. I posted it in your thread about the much-valued "purity" of Mustang wings. ^_^

In as far as "books on Mustangs" go, in my opinion "Mustangs of the Southern Cross" is the best book. It is worth every single cent. 

Rady

Edited by Radub

1 hour ago, Radub said:

I thought you saw the photo. I posted it in your thread about the much-valued "purity" of Mustang wings. ^_^

In as far as "books on Mustangs" go, in my opinion "Mustangs of the Southern Cross" is the best book. It is worth every single cent. 

Rady

It's quite hard to find the photo, your linked images don't appear so you have to go to your Google album to find it. I failed to manage to link to it too

Richard

44 minutes ago, RLWP said:

It's quite hard to find the photo, your linked images don't appear so you have to go to your Google album to find it. I failed to manage to link to it too

Richard

I know, I had a lot of trouble linking photos from Google Photos to this forum many times before. It is a weird glitch. As you can see, I tried many times to post that photo in that thread and eventually it worked (even though I changed nothing ;)). I can share the frustration of anyone who tries to navigate that thread - it was hijacked by trolls, haters and baiters who just relished in stirring sentiments while contributing nothing related to the subject matter. :( 
If you just click on the link titled "Radub replied to a topic" in my post above it will take you straight to the photo.

Just in case, here it is again (let us hope it works): 
z8BbPVA.jpg

The text does not mention the purpose but it states that the coating was applied to the leading edges of the wings and tail planes. The text also mentions that it is possible it is a "bitumen"-based paste. 

HTH

Radu 

Edited by Radub

On 6/4/2020 at 8:09 AM, Radub said:

Australians put a coating of rough "cement" on the leading edges of the Mustang wings. Looks a bit like zimmeritt, but I suspect it may have aerodynamic purposes rather than an anti-mine coating. There are other photos like that in the book "Mustangs of the Southern Star". I have I posted a photo of that in another thread on this forum. 

Radu

How very odd! The very last thing you want on a wing from an aerodynamic point of view is a rough leading edge. It increases stall speed, sharpens the stall when it happens and fuel consumption goes up due to the increased drag. If the wings have even slightly different leading edge profiles you'll get a mahoosive wing drop too, which is a Bad Thing. We spend a fortune keeping the leading edges of our jets clean and polished for exactly these reasons. That and they look pretty, shining in the sun.