1/32 Lockheed U-2A?

On 5/9/2020 at 6:15 PM, thierry laurent said:

Hi Tom. Are you sure about that? I thought the only 1/32 mold ever made was the ID one. 

I’m 99% sure. I was perusing the Combat website a year or so ago and it was listed along with a 1/32 SR-71 and 1/48 KC-135. The 135 is available as I’ve seen one built, but I’m yet to see the SR-71 or U-2 - both were on the ‘soon to be available’ list. 

Whether it’s been released I don’t know for sure, but it was definitely on their website. Speaking of which, the usual Combat website seems to be down - it at least very different to what it was. 

On 5/9/2020 at 12:48 PM, Jennings Heilig said:

When I mused that a 1/32 U-2A/C/D/F/G kit would be a great idea, it got shot down by lots of people here.  "Too big" (from the same group who muse about 1/32 B-52s...).  

I still think its a great kit idea, but not holding my breath!

Alain

1 hour ago, Jennings Heilig said:

Or both...  They're really two totally different aircraft.  The canopy is literally the only thing that's common between first and second generation U-2s.

That's why I said U-2CT trainer and bigger U-2R/TR-1. Would love either or both in 1/32. 

Not sure even the canopies were the same — certainly different between the U-2CT and TU-2S.

I'd love these jet sail planes dangling from my study ceiling but realise that's easier in 1/48 on-a-shelf courtesy of Hobby Boss (and AFV if they do the U-2CT avec Howdah). And Revell's SR-71A. Am expecting to buy Halfords rattle can kitchen appliance white and some kind of blackboard paint sometime this year. 

Best of luck with your project Thierry. 

Tony

1 hour ago, thierry laurent said:

Ok. So it was foreseen as a future release. I guess if it was finally issued only a handful of them were actually released. 

Too bad John Wilkes never had access to that topic as I really prefer his thick plastic. 

thickness is indeed the issue with this kit, at least the combat one, i had it, but after trying several methods of reinforcing by using bulkheads, foam, balsa core, what have you, it didn't do shape justice, so i just binned it.....

Never had the opportunity to get the ID version though.

But as a sidestep i'm still working on the ID RB57F (thanks to Iain), it has the thicker plastic but this kit is a whole different kind of ballgame due to its size......

Edited by Jack

I have been tempted by the Tigger Canberra for some time (to attempt an RAF T.17 countermeasures intruder trainer), but these projects require serious, sustained, mojo. RB-57? Wow! 

Would definitely buy a 1/32 U-2 kit. If not a U-2CT a sugar scoop-tailed two-tone grey U-2C on PLSS trials in Europe ca.1975 would be fun.

Tony 

9 hours ago, Tony T said:

I have been tempted by the Tigger Canberra for some time (to attempt an RAF T.17 countermeasures intruder trainer)

I did the "pre" tigger version by Dough Feeney, built the B-8 version, not my best result, but it was a Canberra, for which i did a whole lot of "personal" research climbing in and out of a Canberra availlable, and it was a feast to build and try to overcome all the basic vacuform glitches, and learn a lot about vacform in the end, so i'd recommend a try on this one.

It's actually a very basic fuselage and wing planform, but you'd have to fill in the details yourself ofcourse.......

https://www.largescaleplanes.com/articles/article.php?aid=233

Edited by Jack