SBD-3 Guadalcanal done, done and..

Woody V

2 minutes ago, Brett M said:

Looking at your last picture, is the rear control stick already in its spot against the sidewall? It looks like you and I both have a duplicate stick in the back......

Correctamundo

On 5/3/2020 at 2:30 PM, Archer Fine Transfers said:

TY for the compliment. I'm not sure if Waldron products are still currently in production. When I have an interest in something I do a saved search on Ebay for it. Eventually something will come up.

Waldron was picked up by...*name escapes me*...they in turned were purchased by Kitlinx. So Waldron is now sold by Kitlinx.

On 5/3/2020 at 5:58 PM, Brett M said:

As will I..... :ph34r:

Gentleman,

Easy fix. Myself being a U.S.N. nut, I know the Dauntless pretty well.

1st, Yes, you have "2" many rear sticks. The one on the left/port wall keep.

2nd, The one mounted in the rear canvas boot, cut it  off a bit before you reach the canvas boot to leave a small "ring" to mount the detached/stored stick when needed. Finish off by drilling the "ring" out a bit so it looks like it's doable. Hope that was clear?! Lol

Also...

The left/port and right/starboard rear side panels, in the rear cockpit floor, with the fasteners are actually canvas panels. On an aircraft painted in "interior green they may either be "tanish" or "oliveish" in color. Not sure.

In the forward cockpit floor, on center between the rudder pedals, is a raised "horse shoe" shaped item on the floor. This is the gust lock for flying surfaces and should be painted red/insignia red.

HTH, and if I'm not clear, lmk and I'll do my best to explain.

Alfonso

Edited by Kaeone57

Onto the engine, which is engineered very well. Everything fit as it should.

170694975.jpg

A little trick I learned doing paste-up when I was a graphic artist. Bestine for cleaning plastic. Drop the parts in a jar, swirl it around and done.

170694977.jpg

I painted the cylinders AK Xtreme Metal aluminum and did a wash with AK Engine and Turbine wash. Next time I’ll use their White Aluminum, this looks a bit too shiny. Exhaust is painted with AK Xtreme Metal Burnt Metal. Also randomly painted some rust color. It’ll do especially because you can’t see any of the exhaust once the engine is installed.

170694976.jpg

Firewall, engine mount and more stuff you can’t see, but I need more paint time. Primed with black and randomly painted over with zinc chromate. Doesn’t really look that yellow.

170694978.jpg

Engine assembly complete. I actually managed to drill out the ignition harness and wire with .015” lead wire without messing it up, something I could have never done before my cataract surgery. If you’re contemplating having cataract surgery done…. Just do it! It’s life changing.

170676693.jpg

Not having learned my lesson regarding PE I decided to add some details to the guns. The problem I always have with PE is that it often covers places where other things go. In this case, the armor shields had to be modified to fit. You also have to remove the breech ch arging handles and re-attach them to the PE. Nerve wracking for me anyway. Also added Master brass barrels which by some miracle came out straight and plumb.

170676694.jpg

After I put it all together I have some touchup to do. Guns painted dark neutral gray with old school graphite shine. Wish I had paid closer attention to the gun barrels, my OCD tells me that the cooling holes should both be on the top. Next time.

That’s all for now. Next installment will be the gun mount and rear cockpit details.

Thanks for looking. Comments and constructive critique is always welcome.

On 5/5/2020 at 3:42 AM, Kaeone57 said:

Also...

The left/port and right/starboard rear side panels, in the rear cockpit floor, with the fasteners are actually canvas panels. On an aircraft painted in "interior green they may either be "tanish" or "oliveish" in color. Not sure.

In the forward cockpit floor, on center between the rudder pedals, is a raised "horse shoe" shaped item on the floor. This is the gust lock for flying surfaces and should be painted red/insignia red.

Thanks for chiming in, I sincerely appreciate it. By the time I got this it was too late to do the canvas and the gust lock is now buried under the seat and stuff so it's just going have to stay that way.

While I have your attention, the rear gun mount where the gunner sits there's a semi circular part at the top rear. Is that a padded rest or metal? If it's a back rest what color should it be?

2 hours ago, Archer Fine Transfers said:

Thanks for chiming in, I sincerely appreciate it. By the time I got this it was too late to do the canvas and the gust lock is now buried under the seat and stuff so it's just going have to stay that way.

While I have your attention, the rear gun mount where the gunner sits there's a semi circular part at the top rear. Is that a padded rest or metal? If it's a back rest what color should it be?

If I read you right, you are referring to the rear armored plate that goes around the gunners back. I don't recall any padding on the ring mount?

Alfonso

17 hours ago, Kaeone57 said:

If I read you right, you are referring to the rear armored plate that goes around the gunners back. I don't recall any padding on the ring mount?

Yea, that's the part. The way it's shaped caused me to pause.

Thank you!