Trumpeter 1:16 Jagdtiger

LSP_K2

Agreed. The battle rages in my mind if all the astronomy obsession is really worth all the effort and thought put into it, considering my somewhat unique circumstances. I do like looking at Jupiter and Saturn though, visible every clear night about 11:30 here. Mars will be very visible here too real soon, though right now rises above the trees about 4:30 in the morning, so Ill be waiting a month or so to look at that.

It sounds like you like the things I do. I only recently discovered the phases of Venus. Planets are always worthwhile, finding a few Messier objects was fun, most stars are - well bright dots

Richard

42 minutes ago, RLWP said:

It sounds like you like the things I do. I only recently discovered the phases of Venus. Planets are always worthwhile, finding a few Messier objects was fun, most stars are - well bright dots

Richard

True enough, though I find the quantities of stars quite amazing, Pleiades being one of my favorite groups. The sheer quantity of stars, like around Deneb for instance, being in the Milky Way belt, is quite mesmerizing.

Cooling fans now spritzed with a steel color. I don’t believe there’s much chance they’ll ever actually be seen from the outside, but why risk it. Before upper and lower hulls are joined, I’ll spray the basic tan color around the periscopes, fans and vents on the hull sections, so that I won’t shoot color onto the internal items later when painting the overall exterior vehicle colors. (I full well realize I didn’t get 100% coverage with the red-brown, which is itself a bit darker than I had originally intended, but I also realize full well that so little of it, if any, will be visible on finished kit, that it really doesn’t matter all that much.)

qFvdqM.jpg

20 hours ago, mustang1989 said:

That..............is one BIG model right there.

It really is quite large, Joe, and I'm really hoping for a cool display of it. If it turns out like I'm planning, it should be one major conversation piece.

Here I've used some 14ga. copper wire to create the mounting ring for the fan screen. I feel this is just too large a diameter though, a real shame, as I have a ton of 14ga. here, but will probably be better off with 16 or even 18 gauge, which I'll now have to go out and buy, though it's also entirely possible that I have some smaller diameter wire here,... somewhere.

4I2mn5.jpg

I was going to recommend solder and then saw this last post. You know....in using solder it's got an added plus. You can simulate a little "damage" / wear and tear since solder can be crushed and bent just a little bit to simulate it. Just an idea......

Yea, I have no real idea why my first thought was copper, save for the fact that I've got about 200' of it here (600' if you count all three wires in the cable). Solder certainly has its uses, as does lead sheet, which I tend to use very sparingly due to its fragility.

Stumbling about on the web last night, I encountered this fascinating photo. While obviously not a Jagdtiger, several items are still of note; the spare (non Tiger) track links, stiffeners under the front and side fenders, known to be present, but seldom seen, as well as the completely filthy nature of the hull bottom. This photo gives me some ideas for my own lower hull.

YVu4H6.jpg