Trumpeter 1:16 Jagdtiger

LSP_K2

I’ve always been one of those “look for the bright side” kind of folks, and the bright side of our regional cancellation, is that it buys me some time to hit some other shows within the region next year, prior to our regional. That way, if I’m fortunate enough to win anything at the other shows, I can still compete “up” at our regional, whereas you really shouldn’t do it the other way around (assuming there’s actually a win in there to begin with).

20 hours ago, Out2gtcha said:

Our regional has also been canceled. Shame, but understandable under the circumstances.

What region are you currently in, Brian? With the recent region restructuring, I have no idea what's what.

14 minutes ago, LSP_Ray said:

So far the best representation I have seen is a varied green color, overlaid with the clear/prismatic iridescent cellophane you can get at Michael's or the like. Gives the changing color look from different directions that makes it look it really realistic.

Your tank is really coming along!

Thanks, Ray. I considered a greenish or brownish color, but initially ended up using Tamiya Smoke as a possible alternative, though I now think another color would really be better. Lots of time to play with some ideas though, for sure.

4 minutes ago, LSP_Ron said:

Looking good, 

You didn't want to paint that exhaust separate and rust it up?

Thanks, Ron. I certainly considered it, but think I can easily take care of it "in place".

I’ve pretty much decided to use a half guard on the front right side, so I’ll be chopping this up appropriately. The connecting plate locations will obviously need to be filled in, then bolt holes drilled; no real big deal there.

HbcTOv.jpg

No rear mud guard on left side, but right side will have a partial guard, with the outer portion folded up or quite possibly removed,… maybe. Again, I still haven’t quite made my mind up about that. Inside segment of guard was also connected to a bracket that was welded to hull rear, and that bracket (as a separate piece) is also included in the kit, so big–time kudos to Trumpeter for catching that. Mud guards also have the correct angle iron stiffeners molded to the interior face (along with some not too obnoxious ejector pin depressions).

QyYVwl.jpg

Holes drilled in one segment for the track pin, just to see if it would be a pain or not; my little Ridgid drill made very short work of it. I’ll need eight of these altogether, four of two different drillings, unless I opt for an incomplete or non-standard mounting, which I may well do. Not necessarily was there always a track pin, but the holes certainly need to be there, regardless.

SQThAW.jpg

12 hours ago, LSP_Ron said:

So when are you going to add some detail to this kit?:D

There's really not a lot to add. About the only thing that's missing, are the the sometimes present crane fittings on the roof, but I can easily get by without them. On a scale of 1-100, I'd rate this kit as at least a 98. A couple of very small things that are a bit of a disappointment, but otherwise just an excellent kit.

19 hours ago, LSP_Ray said:

Try grinding a larger area to the point you just about see through it. Then use an Xacto blade to tear some holes in. Works pretty good. 

I actually considered making an entire section from brass or copper sheet, then mashing it out of shape/adding bullet/shrapnel damage, but haven't decided to pursue that approach,... yet. I have no earthly idea what the gauge of the actual material used was, but I'm reasonable sure that it wasn't too stout. 10ga would probably be a close guess.