Trumpeter 1:16 Jagdtiger

LSP_K2

8 hours ago, dodgem37 said:

Good stuff.

Engine access door hinge bolts are missing.  Just sayin'.

Sincerely,

Mark

I have but one decent photo of those hinges, and really can't make out the specifics. Looks almost like a cap screw in my photo. Any ideas what's what, Mark?

Actually, the King Tiger deck should be more or less identical, so perhaps my Ryton book will be of some help there. Speaking of the engine deck, one thing of note regarding the Tamiya 1:35 Jagdtiger kit that I noticed, is that they depicted the three engine access hatch clamps rotated 90° from what they should be from the closed/secured position. Not a big deal, really, but I just thought it was a bit odd.

OK, the Ryton book has a reasonably clear photo (from above) that does indeed seem to show some sort of cap screw arrangement, so that's what I'll do too. (What still annoys me is the fact that I missed the cupped head pins on the rear access doors, and it's almost impossible to correct now that the doors are anchored in place, very annoying.)

Using some punched .010 discs and short pieces of drilled .030 rod, I’ve now added the hinge pins/bolts to the engine access cover. This may not be absolutely correct, I have no idea, but generally I think I can live with it. (In retrospect, the bolt head nearest the hull needs to be replaced. I've done it once already, but still not happy with the cut of it.)

SvuqIW.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

I finally got off my dead backside and have now shot a fairly good coat of gloss polyurethane onto the walnut portions of the base. I've also been working (at a snails pace) on cleaning up the other 110 track links, but I'm about 90% finished with those now too, so at least some progress, no matter how slow.

8w05jC.jpg

3 hours ago, Rick Griewski said:

These may be tedious fiddle parts but at least they are not ‘tiny’ 1/35 scale parts. 

That's certainly true enough. These big boys can easily be handled for some cleanup.

For reasons that I just can't fathom, idler wheel arms refused to be glued in so that they would be perpendicular to the hull sides. A good squeeze with a bar clamp, seems to have handily dealt with that problem. The entirety of the engine area looks somewhat lopsided here; I have no idea what's up with that, but suspect there may be some grinding in my future.

tW9Aun.jpg

Hi. It occurs to me that there is some badly dimensioned piece that pushes and makes the area bent. When you put the pieces together dry did it look good? Another cause is that you have forced the area by tightening with the clamp and you did not notice it. In any case, I hope you don't get into trouble in the future. a greeting