Trumpeter 1:16 Jagdtiger

LSP_K2

39 minutes ago, Juggernut said:

Where are the non-tiger spare track links?  The ones on the lower front hull are Tiger I combat track links.  I don’t see any others.

I seriously debated saying that, as I really wasn't 100% sure, but now I think you're right, I misinterpreted the photo.

On 22/7/2020 at 6:35, LSP_K2 said:

Usando uno de mis destornilladores con punta de diamante, he desgarrado la armadura lateral de una manera algo arbitraria, así como haciendo el truco de "bouncing ball bit", solo para darle al plato algo de carácter.

wg3PDi.jpg

It is a good idea since that adds character to such a large flat surface.

On 7/26/2020 at 8:32 AM, mustang1989 said:

Progress on this one Kevin? 

Not really, Joe. I've been battling a severe leg pain for the last week or so, and haven't really done much of anything but sit.

The last pile of track links (not horned) is now finally all cleaned up and awaiting a thorough wash and some primer. This photo is of all 110 of them. 7 ejector pin marks per, adding up to a nice 770 raised pin marks sanded off. My one consolation is that anyone that builds this kit OOB, has to go through the same monotonous process. Sailing on to other work right now, will be a real pleasure.

YEZux8.jpg

Here I’ve drilled all eight double sections of track for possible track storage configurations on hull sides. Options still abound; no track pins, one track pin, two track pins, reversing the factory supplied arrangements, or just individual horned sections, with or without track pins. Quite possibly I’ll be leaving off a couple sections altogether.

KRT7OQ.jpg

40 minutes ago, GDW said:

Hi Kevin. Where did you get the 1:16 bricks from? I have been looking for bricks and cobblestones in this scale.

Greg

Amazon. They're actually "doll house" bricks, but since they're 1:16 scale it really doesn't matter to me. I haven't seen cobblestone, but I'd imagine they too are available somewhere, and if not, they could somewhat easily be carved from plaster or balsa foam, I'd think.

It doesn't matter what style of track or what type of tank.  The link pin will not stay in without a retainer head.  The pin will shimmy out due to vibration.

11348.jpg

Here the head is a bolt.  T-130 link for M113.

11494.jpg

Diehl track for M113.  It has a retainer similar to that of the Sherman, Pershing, Patton series, M1.

DSC00104.JPG

King Tiger.

DSC00102.JPG

King Tiger.  Note opposite end is a flat head.

DSC00105.JPG

King Tiger.

DSC00106.JPG

Same.

11677.jpg

Kettenkrad

Probably not surprising, I put retaining bolts on my 1/35 model tanks when using after market tracks.

Sincerely,

Mark

Edited by dodgem37

The Tiger II (and also Jagdtiger) track has the pin head on the inside of the track (toward the hull).  On the outside there was a ring that fit over the track pin and a roll pin (for lack of a better term) was driven through a corresponding hole in the track pin to secure the ring in place.

YIj0Jgm.jpg

4 hours ago, Juggernut said:

The Tiger II (and also Jagdtiger) track has the pin head on the inside of the track (toward the hull).  On the outside there was a ring that fit over the track pin and a roll pin (for lack of a better term) was driven through a corresponding hole in the track pin to secure the ring in place.

I misunderstood, thinking he was referring to the individual swing arm type connectors of the other track type. The Trumpeter track has the retainer ring already molded in, but no retaining pin, and adding one, even in this scale, is not something I'll bother with, as after adding some dust and mud, they'd never be missed anyway.