1/32 Trumpeter SBD-5 Dauntless in New Zealand markings w/ full Archer rivet replacement - DONE

Brett M

16 hours ago, Uncarina said:

Do my eyes deceive me, or did you actually lace together the pads on the gunners seat? In any case, magnificent work!

Cheers,  Tom

Thanks Tom! No, I didn't go quite that nuts. That piece is PE provided by Trumpeter. I just tried to make it look like canvas and....lace? :)

9 hours ago, Archer Fine Transfers said:

Lookin' good Brett. I gotta get my butt in gear and make some progress.

Thanks Woody. I'll keep my eyes open to see how yours is progressing :)

Thanks to the rest that replied as well, appreciate it. Now, I'm going to go thin the doors to the gun bay at for back seater before I join the fuselage halves. Should have done that before all this painting! 

• 2 weeks later...

It has wings! And, not the gaps have been managed at the wing roots. 

As usual it seems, progress is moving at the speed of a sleepy sloth. I've attached both sides of the fuselage, cleaned up the seams bottom and top and the moved to the wings. As noted in other threads, the gap at the wing root was bad if you follow Trumpeter's instructions (attach top wings to bottom, then to fuselage = gappy!). So, I attached the top of the wings to the fuselage first, then to the bottom single piece wing. Smoothed out the gap and blended it much better than it originally was. I really dislike the clear nose that Trumpeter provided. I could see if being useful if it were actually clear (which it's not), but it is just a bit of pain to work with and see what you're doing. Good thing it'll get painted. Again, no extra parts in the nose area since they won't be seen, so why use them. The clear nose is just sitting there for now, along with the upper panel....they fit...meh. More work to get that squared away.

I had start using some panel liner but am stopping for now.....as I'm about to descend into the rabbit hole and try to find Pete and his PAVE HAWK....

Thanks to Woody at Archer Fine Transfers and his brilliant work on the rivets package for Trumpeter's SBD, I'm about to start filling all of the rivets on this Dauntless and replace them with his raised rivets. Woody sent me one of the first batches of the decals/rivets to cover the body and they are brilliant looking. As this plane is covered in raised rivets, this is going to make it look 10x better than what Trumpeter intended, as long as I don't bollix it up. If you want to take a peak at what he's done prior to me starting on my own, check out his SBD-3 build here......

I'll be starting with the rivet filling this week (ha ha...I've said that before). I'll be using thinned plastic putty, then spray everything with Alclad Aqua Gloss....then madness of decals/rivets!

Otherwise, the normal "in progress" pictures to share. Not a lot.....and I must say again I hate working with clear plastic parts for major panels. Thanks Trumpeter!

Thanks for browsing this tiny update! 

50156433723_d670d16591_h.jpg

50156433748_bc3c8605c6_h.jpg

50156433763_dd1a499043_h.jpg 

Great stuff as usual. Interesting how you're dealing with the rear guns.... you obviously have hands that still work. Mine are quickly becoming boxing gloves and I know I could never go your route. That whole assembly is tricky getting the ammo belt from the properly angled guns to the magazine.

6 hours ago, Archer Fine Transfers said:

Great stuff as usual. Interesting how you're dealing with the rear guns.... you obviously have hands that still work. Mine are quickly becoming boxing gloves and I know I could never go your route. That whole assembly is tricky getting the ammo belt from the properly angled guns to the magazine.

17 hours ago, MikeMaben said:

Well yeah   :speak_cool::popcorn:

Thanks Mike and Woody. I hadn't even tried mounting the guns yet.......hopefully I'll still be able to afterwards. I had figured I'd break them off if I attached now, so better to wait. Guess we'll see! :)

Amazon just delayed my latest shipments till Friday, annoying since I was looking forward to new tools!