Tamiya 1/32 Spitfire Mk.VIII

NGBZ

5 hours ago, jenshb said:

Really nice work Gary.  Looking at Vincen't photos, the voltage regulator is just below the panel under the cockpit door.

Ah, so it is. Thank you :D

Gary

I'm sure that the rivet counters and purists will be looking at the WIP with sheer horror, but it is at least reprsentative and far better than nothing at all :P Without removing the kit's fuse box, there is no room for the voltage regulator where Vincent has located his, so I'll just leave it off (shock horror :wacko:) and hope no one notices!

DsE5PLp.jpg5e9nwTI.jpg

I used .010 lead wire for the piping and sprayed it using Alclad II copper paint. The other parts were scrathed from styrene using Vincent's build as reference.

Gary

Thanks Michael.

Compressed air tanks and assosciated pipework next. Again, not 100% accurate, but good enough when looing behind the cockpit. Believe it or not, the two small cylinders mounted on the base are actually heads from 1/35 German hand grenades :blowup: Otherwise it's .010 lead wire, Evergreen styrene and Meng styrene nuts...

GKdwH9l.jpg

JS16dG4.jpg

The instrument panel saw a change of plan. I did buy one of Eduard's L00k instrument panels, but decided against using it as it appears very 'toy-like' in mu humble opinion...

BVZJwcN.jpg

So, I just used the kit parts - only changing a couple of instrument decals for ones supplied by Barracuda. Otherwise painted with acrylics and weathered with enamels and pigments....

v1jCIFn.jpgMXZPcPZ.jpgMbF3KHI.jpg

Thank you for the feedback everyone :D

So, onto the elevator control assembly. Scratched using Evergreen styrene, Meng styrene bolts and Gaspatch 1/48 turnbuckles....

KVjVIGu.jpgzNf6AhI.jpgcVNdyJc.jpgj4NBzUZ.jpgpp1KJyY.jpgW4we7qd.jpg

Finally, for now, have made a start on the belts, using one of HGW's excellent sets. AK burnishing solution for the buckles etc  while XF-57 is a close enough match to paint the white reverse sides of the belts. Oddly enough, the instructions fail to show one of the buckles on the lap straps even though it is supplied on the PE fret?

n04hDJX.jpg

Gary

So, jumping forward a little, I think I can call the cockpit finished. Adding the hydraulic undercarriage lines was a little tricky, but with some time and patience, managed to get all four in place. Also added control lines using Modelkasten rigging thread and the pilot, Rupert, was pinched from a Wingnut Wings kit. I did, somehow, manage to lose the Barracuda resin oxygen hose, so had to fashion a replacement from lead wire. 

Sys59Dr.jpgKVfSP2U.jpg1tZ3Mgl.jpgs1NsSIF.jpgkrjhNex.jpgUx1ZHNq.jpgmRaMmXL.jpguOznNAy.jpgWizGTgg.jpgXB3OGsR.jpgkbehWNR.jpg