1/32 Hobby Boss B-24J Liberator Assembly Ship Tubarao

monthebiff

37 minutes ago, nmayhew said:

I have pics which clearly show front, middle and rear turrets with guns when painted as an assembly ship

i did a lot of research on this bird a few years back as I was specifically looking for an assembly ship which was not ‘toothless’, and they are hard to find.

from memory, the guns are shown early on in its assembly ship ‘transition’, and the paint scheme evolved

in the end it just went back on the ‘file it away’ shelf, mainly because although I like the shark mouth, I don’t like the name so the whole project got parked.

Like you I've spent a long time looking for pictures and agree that there is definite pictorial evidence of her carrying nose , upper and rear turret gunns in her early days as an assembly ship, would love to know what the lower turret situation was as you cannot see it at all, I'm wondering if it was removed as faired over? 

Regards. Andy 

10 hours ago, monthebiff said:

Like you I've spent a long time looking for pictures and agree that there is definite pictorial evidence of her carrying nose , upper and rear turret gunns in her early days as an assembly ship, would love to know what the lower turret situation was as you cannot see it at all, I'm wondering if it was removed as faired over? 

Regards. Andy 

were they not retracted when on ground anyway? am I talking b*ll*cks? lol

You are correct  but sometimes you can just see then peeking out as in not fully retracted. I think I'm going to fit the turret to my build when U get to that point t.

Regards. Andy 

Looking at the first picture you posted, I'm fairly sure the ball is removed and the hole faired over. You can usually see the slight indentation and very bottom of the turret when retracted and there's nothing visible at all in the picture. And why carry all that extra weight if the turret is not needed..?

Tom

5 hours ago, tomprobert said:

Looking at the first picture you posted, I'm fairly sure the ball is removed and the hole faired over. You can usually see the slight indentation and very bottom of the turret when retracted and there's nothing visible at all in the picture. And why carry all that extra weight if the turret is not needed..?

Tom

Good spot Tom and thank you for that. I can se exactly what you mean when compared with othe B24's with the turret retracted, so faired over it is then!

Regards. Andy 

• 3 weeks later...

It's been a while since I worked on this one so after nearly 5 years it's time to start again . I'd been wondering how to approach this build and after studying many pictures decided to open p the cockpit rear bulkhead so more can be seen inside. So this is what I had done initially 

20240329_211739.jpg

And this is what I've ended up with today 

20240329_225054.jpg

20240329_225114.jpg

A bit rough around the edges but happy and will definitely open things up.

Regards. Andy