1/32 Revell Me 262-A (New Tool) July 2019 Release

Thunderbolt

3 hours ago, VintageEagle said:

Some of the instruction drawings show the nightfighter version. E.g. step 51. 

Looking over their instructions, on step 75; does that rear section of canopy actually open on the 1:1?   I thought it was just the center section

That is a massive screw up on behalf of the illustrator - and Revell didn’t catch it. The illustration in step 75 shows the rear canopy from the 2 seater... in previous steps in this build guide you can see that there is a structural insert that has the rear sloped surface directly behind the pilot. Then there is a small clear canopy part that goes over this area. However, in step 51, the illustrator shows the rear canopy section of the 2 seater - again...In the real a/c, this section of rear canopy was jettison-able by the pilot. I look at something like this and I wonder how such a massive screw up gets this far in a company.... and, why people who obviously know nothing about the subject matter are involved in putting a build guide together! At least the designer of the kit knows his subject matter!! And very well too - I might add!!

But, don’t worry it doesn’t make the kit unbuildable, in fact I like the design of the kit, the parts lay out and accuracy of the finished build. It is just a shame to see such a well designed kit be graced with such a sloppy build guide... Revell can do better!!

Cheers

Alan

Edited by alaninaustria

5 minutes ago, alaninaustria said:

That is a massive screw up on behalf of the illustrator - and Revell didn’t catch it. The illustration in step 75 shows the rear canopy from the 2 seater... in previous steps in this build guide you can see that there is a structural insert that has the rear sloped surface directly behind the pilot. Then there is a small clear canopy part that goes over this area. In the real a/c, this section of rear canopy was jettison-able by the pilot. I look at something like this and I wonder how such a massive screw up gets this far in a company....

It doesn’t make the kit unbuildable, in fact I like the design of the kit, the parts lay out and accuracy of the finished build. 

Cheers

Alan

Thought that looked a might suspicious after they put a previous pic of the two seater in step 51. As you mentioned, not unbuildable, but still a big boo-boo for a new tool kit.

Not as bad of a boo-boo as they made with their Super Bug however..............    :rolleyes:

4 minutes ago, Out2gtcha said:

...Not as bad of a boo-boo as they made with their Super Bug however..............    :rolleyes:

Couldn’t agree more - the Superbug kit is a f#** - up of massive proportions... an example of what can happen when you change designers halfway through a project... very sad really... 

However, this single seater Me-262 kit looks great!! 

Can’t wait to get a few of them!!

Cheers

Alan

10 hours ago, VintageEagle said:

The rear canopy has some strange edge where it meets the fuselage, but that can probably be easily corrected. 

Some of the instruction drawings show the nightfighter version. E.g. step 51. 

I see it as well. The raised edge shouldn't be too much of a bear to take down. I'm super excited for this kit!!

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Vincent

About the putty on the 262 :

The use of putty on the me262 (and all lw aircraft at the end of the war) was to enable the a/c to pass acceotance flights. 2 areas got really bad as the war progressed : Riveting and panel joining. Early in the war, this was done by skilled laborers which eventually got drafted and replaced by forced labor and non skilled laborers.

This led to a difficult situation for the airctaft industry : as the a/c performances increased tremendously, the rejection rate at acceptance flights increased to a point that something had to be done. Rejection because of insufficient speed was the primary concern and the culprit were angled rivets and gaping panels. These defects created so much extra drag and turbulences that the a/c powerformance were reduced. It was even more serious on jet a/c. Putty was used at the factory to "smoothen" these defects and it was usually applied on the most critical areas

You find this putty on late G10s and K4s as well

Edited by Vincent/MDC

• 1 month later...

This looks irresistible! I was always loathe to do more than one model of a particular plane. I spent what seemed half a lifetime correcting and detailing the Hasegawa kit before I’d even heard of PE etc. Now very tempted to spring for this one when it is out. Whatever faults there may be, as with the Revell two seater, it will be a damned fine kit to work with.

Cheers

Slightly off topic, but totally related to the subject of Me 262’s.  Have you seen the FHCAM’s new paint livery for their original soon to be flying Me 262 with original upgraded Jumo engines?   Check out Warbirdnews.com and the new “original appearance” but repainted Weiss “25”.   I recall Pastor Johns example from a few years back.  

Please notice all the rivets and putty lines which......hmmmmmm....... you don’t see!  I couldn’t help myself on that one.  

What a killer scheme the museum put her back into an original as found appearance.  Well done FHCAM!   

I think it will be a good kit.  Of course if I can't buy it from a US distributor at a reasonable price, it's a moot point.  Beginning to think Revell is never going to get their US distribution problems solved and I'm not going to pony up shipping charges from Europe unless it's something I really, really want.  With six Me 262s already in the stash this kit doesn't qualify as "must have" for me.

Edited by Mikester

Recently a new page appeared on Facebook called Revell USA and a photo dated 26 June 2019 shows Ed Sexton, who used to work for Revell USA when it was part of Hobbico, in front of a Revell USA stand at NIMCON. Interestingly, the photo shows a "Revell USA boxing" of the 1/32 P-51D-5NA Mustang. 

This may mean that there may be a Revell USA again. :-)

See this:

This is the Facebook page 

https://m.facebook.com/RevellUSA/?tsid=0.2038522442464057&source=result

HTH

Radu

Edited by Radub