1/32 Revell Me 262-A (New Tool) July 2019 Release

Thunderbolt

Just got 4 in the mail from the UK off Ebay.

Took a punt based off Radu being involved.

Kit looks fantastic.

Slats are better than Trumps with fine actuators, overall detail very nice indeed it feel like a Revell Ju-88 in short outstanding.

After the disaster of the F-18E its nice to see Revell putting out a really nice looking well researched kit.

Impressed!

20 hours ago, Kagemusha said:

You'll be pleased to hear that the next review will be the dedicated AIMS sheet for the Me 262 A-1a/U3 printed by Phantasy Printshop... :rolleyes:

A recce 262, and some markings - my happiness will be complete.

• 9 months later...
On 7/22/2019 at 4:21 PM, VintageEagle said:

Hello Chris,

White 4 of III./EJG 2 was not Schreiber's aircraft. It had the serial number 170061. You are right that Revell got the serial number wrong. 

Cheers, Roger

PS: I was informed today by the online store in Germany where I have preordered two kits that they expect deliveries from Revell this week and will start shipping orders by beginning of next week. 

Hello all. Sorry to use this older thread but I was alerted by it, I am building this kit right now and want to finish is as white 4. Does this mean that 170061 is the correct serial number for the particiular 130017 scheme in the Revell kit? It looks to me (vaguely) like the serial number in this photo of white 4 ends in "785" or "705".  Any help is appreciated! I tried Google, but no dice. Thanks!

khUp5nj.jpg

Edit: I found this profile of 130017, but this time as white 3. Could it be correct? (Link to page)

Alfred%20Schreiber.jpg

Edited by Grunticus
addition

4 hours ago, Jennings Heilig said:

W.Nr. 170067 was White 3.  Here's what our own David Brown sent me on that aircraft the other day:

"A nice early machine that is.  Regarding is camouflage and markings the photos confirm it is of course the then-standard RLM 74/75/76 scheme, though the greys do appear somewhat lighter in tone that the usual lower contrast between 74 and 75.  I looked through my files and images and note the following:

From Dan O’Connell’s book:

170067  Call sign KL+WU. Me 262 A-1a. First delivered to Erprobungskommando 262 at Lechfeld, 7 July 1944, and marked 'White 3'. It was then assigned to III./EJG 2 (although they did not officially exist until November) on 27 July 1944 where it made at least 85 takeoffs, with 35 flying hours (by 26 March 1945), and was filmed during August. It was noted on 22 August that when braking strongly with the rudder pedals forward, the braking lever was bending. The same report also stated that it was still with EKdo 262. While landing at Lechfeld on 12 October the right tire burst, leading to the damage of the right wing, landing gear, flap, and engine. In a report dated 23 March 1945 it was discovered that while replacing a fuel tank, it had broken away from three of the four support bolts, and it was still waiting for the replacement wooden reinforcement brackets. It was last known to have been assigned to I./KG(J) 54.

From the available photos I interpret the following:

WNr.170036 to 170053 (built at Mtt. Schwäbisch-Hall - June-July 1944)

170045 (A-1a) – “White 5”, Erpro.Kdo. 262, Lechfeld – greys camouflage (unknown)

170047 (A-1a) – “White 1”, Erpro.Kdo. 262, Lechfeld, & JV 44, Innsbruck-Reichenau – greens camouflage (fared-in) / Tadpole

WNr.170054 to 170073 (built at Mtt. Leipheim - June-July 1944)

170054 (A-1a) – “White 6”, Erpro.Kdo. 262 & 7./III./EJG 2, Lechfeld – greys camouflage (unknown)

170056 (A-1a) – “White V056”, Mtt. Leipheim, Nachtjäger, Lechfeld – greys camouflage (fared-in)

170061 (A-1a) – “White 4”, Erpro.Kdo. 262 & 7./III./EJG 2, Lechfeld – greens camouflage (fared-in) / Tadpole

170067 (A-1a) – “White 3”, Erpro.Kdo. 262 & 7./III./EJG 2, Lechfeld – greys camouflage (fared-in)

170069 (A-2a) – “9K+ge.NL”, 3./I./KG 51, Rheine – greys camouflage modified with green (unknown)

170070 (A-2a) – “E7+02”, E-Stelle Rechlin & “White 12”, 1./I./JG 7, Bremen-Hamburg autobahn – greys camouflage (fared-in)

170071 (A-1a) – “White 2”, Erpro.Kdo. 262 & 7./III./EJG 2, Hohagen, Brunnthal autobahn – greys camouflage (fared-in)

170072 (A-1a) – “Uncoded / KL+WZ, Obergammerau – greys camouflage (fared-in)

There is an obvious transition in colours and schemes at this time with the introduction of greens (possibly RLM 81 (green version) and RLM 81, or redundant RLM 71). As well, those aircraft with KG 51 delivered in greys were soon modified at the unit level with an application of green in various patterns.

Regarding the tail light style for "White 3", I believe it had the original fared-in version based on the evidence from photos of aircraft in the 170054-170073 Werknummerserien.  I do note several examples where an aircraft was originally fitted with the fared-in type and later retrofitted with the small bulb type, likely due to damage."

Hello Jennings, thank you so very much for this extensive answer to my request! So if I go with "170061 (A-1a) – “White 4”, Erpro.Kdo. 262 & 7./III./EJG 2, Lechfeld – greens camouflage (fared-in) / Tadpole" I have the depicted RLM 81/82/83/76 scheme paired with a correct serial number and confirmed White "4". I am assuming that the tadpole term refers to the hard-edges blotches on the tail, a feature I really like in this scheme. Thanks again! Now I will try to find out more about the serial number font: solid or stencilled ( I will make masks and not use decals).

13 hours ago, Jennings Heilig said:

I can send you a vector file for the correct style of numbers (not a font).  Once I get my network back up and running that is.  

Currently in TP Link customer service hell.

PM sent, and tank you soo much. In return I might be able to help you with the TP Link issue, I am reasonably knowledgeable with the subject, please send a PM if TP Link can't resolve or annoy you too much :D

20 hours ago, Jennings Heilig said:

The Revell single seat?  For many many months, yes.

I think the NF and the single seater have both been available for a while. I'd like to add both to the stash eventually (I have killer masks for the NF, compliments of a fellow member), but have no idea when that might occur.

You have Comcast down there? Up here everything seems to be Cox, so I went with them. Didn't get the higher priced gigabyte package, though, stayed with the 600MB package. That is so much above what we had out in the country, though, I am fine so far. Did you know you can actually stream video and it is not a slideshow? :) It does slow down at times, I am thinking too many people at home on the internet. They usually always have that asterisk: your results may vary with heavy usage.

Back on topic: is the Revell single seater that much better than the Trumpy? I thought the Trumpy was on of there better efforts. I know Radu was involved and everything, but I already have several Trumpy's.

The single seater is sold out most everywhere and as described as unobtainium get them while you can.

Revell and reliable production runs dont go hand in hand.

Ju-88A4’s are going for seriously good money and the 262’s sold out like hot cakes.

Get them while you can ir face what a multitude are whining about with Wingnut Wings.

A bird in hand.....

Hmmm, haven't seen the huge cost difference, and the Trump kit is actually available. I have only seen one or two of the Revell kits, even on e-bay, and they were not much, if at all, cheaper than the  Trump kit. As I have said before, the fit issues that seem inherent in the Revell kit are more off putting to me than unseen wheel well detail and VERY petite rivets that could easily disappear if one is so inclined. Amazing how on a Trump kit, petite engraved detail is not wanted, when its as out of place on many other kits that should either have smooth or raised detail. When built and put side by side, I think it would be very difficult to say one is better than the other, or even which is which, but YMMV. 

I've been holding off on a Trumpeter one figuring the Revell kit would be cheaper too but that hasn't been the case. I got the Revell two seater for $35 CAD when it came out and anticipated the single seater being around the same. Instead, I'm finding they're coming in more than double that at $85 or more (again in CAD). The Trumpeter I can get for $62 so I still haven't decided which one to get....

Carl