Large Scale Rabaul Zero

Looking for some guidance - I've always been interested in the Rabaul air campaign during WW2.  It seemed to be one of the few times during the war that the US and Japan were evenly matched with regards to aircraft and quality of pilots.   I also liked those overpainted IJN Zero's like these:

nishizawa-a6m3-ui-105.jpg

Questions - I'm not really up on Zeros that much.  Does Tamiya offer this version (not even sure what model it is) or of the clipped wing "Hamp"?  Any aftermarket decals around?  I did a quick Google search, really didn't seem much. On a paint related issue - any ideas what green was used to overpaint these?  Was it brushed or sprayed on?  I really can't tell from the pics i've seen. 

Any advice is appreciated. 

Edited by John1

UMI Resin did a conversion, but it was rough and intended for the Hasegawa kit. And of course since his death long OOP. Some day, I hope to build one out of a 21st Century kit, some left over Hasegawa parts, and maybe a little help from a Tamiya A6m2.

2 hours ago, Jennings Heilig said:

That’s an A6M3 Model 32.  I’m shocked that neither Tamiya itself nor any aftermarket manufacturer has done that version.  I’d be all over it in a heartbeat.  

If I'm not mistaken that's a Model 22 (rounded wingtips).

2 hours ago, Jennings Heilig said:

That’s an A6M3 Model 32.  I’m shocked that neither Tamiya itself nor any aftermarket manufacturer has done that version.  I’d be all over it in a heartbeat.  

+1

55 minutes ago, coogrfan said:

You are correct, it is an A6M3 Model 22.  This aircraft was flown by NPO Nishizawa (IJN Ace).  This aircraft was delivered in overall olive-grey and field camouflaged using a shade of green (which shade of green is subject to speculation as far as I'm aware but may very well be the standard-run-of-the-mill, IJN green).  Looking closely at the photograph it appears as though the green paint (at least in part) was applied using a brush and not sprayed.  Note the lack of the radio antenna mast behind the rollover bar (common item removed along with the radio equipment).

In order to get a conversion kit made (for the A6M3 Model 22) would require some forethought by the conversion designer to either produce two, separate kits for either zero or supply the requisite parts missing from either kit...it would end up being a very expensive conversion either way.  The conversion kit for the A6M2 kit would require a replacement forward fuselage (forward of the windscreen) to add the increased frontal area for the Sakae 21 engine, a new engine (Sakae 21), oil tank, cowl, cowl flaps, oil cooler, oil cooler scoop and various cockpit changes between the A6M2 and A6M3.   The conversion kit for  the Tamiya A6M5 would require a new cowl, cowl flaps, exhaust collector ring, and entirely new wings.  If you want the A6M3 Model 32, you'll need the A6M2 to A6M3 conversion kit plus brand new wings (or cleverly designed portions as replacements for the differences between the A6M2 and A6M3 Model 32 wing) for the clipped wing "Hamp".

Someone here (awhile ago) kitbashed the Tamiya zero's to create the A6M3 Model 22.  If you search you can possibly find the build thread.  It isn't a perfect conversion (the cowl air intake is different between the A6M3 Model 22 and the A6M5 series) but it's close enough so that only zero nerds like myself would know the difference.  Needless to say, a very expensive way to get to the A6M3 Model 22 but in 1/32, it's the only way. 

A6M5 Model 52's did serve as part of the Rabaul air force but wore the green over grey camouflage typical of the type.  The Tamiya kit of the A6M5 does offer a set of markings for an aircraft stationed on New Britain (REF:  Tamiya A6M5 instruction booklet).  Rabaul is on the Island of New Britain (thanks Wikipedia).  I've forgotten which group it was from but someone may know more before I get to my references to check. 

Edited by Juggernut
Added Tamiya Marking Reference for A6M5 and conversion kit detail requirements

1 hour ago, coogrfan said:

So could I build this variant from the Tamiya kit?  I guess I really need to read up on Zero’s.   

No you cannot as explained above. I began building that specific plane years ago with one Doyusha A6M2 on which I added the nose of the 21st century A6M3 (actually that kit is closer to a very early A6M5) plus some leftover parts from a Tamiya A6M2 and various aftermarket items.

Whatever route you want to use there is currently no easy way to build that version. The weird part is the fact it is totally obvious Tamiya foresaw the release of that version when they released the A6M2. Unfortunately for whatever reason they never released it. 

10 minutes ago, thierry laurent said:

No you cannot as explained above. I began building that specific plane years ago with one Doyusha A6M2 on which I added the nose of the 21st century A6M3 (actually that kit is closer to a very early A6M5) plus some leftover parts from a Tamiya A6M2 and various aftermarket items.

Whatever route you want to use there is currently no easy way to build that version. The weird part is the fact it is totally obvious Tamiya foresaw the release of that version when they released the A6M2. Unfortunately for whatever reason they never released it. 

Got it!   That’s really too bad.  Those mid-production Zeros are the most interesting to me.   No interest in the earlier ones and the late War Model 52’s are too boring in their standard overall green / grey.  

There is a slight error in the first article about the A6M3 Model 32.  The wing of the Hamp is different than any other zero in that the aileron's on the Model 32 are one rib shorter than any previous zero and also different from the Model 52.  Consequently, there is a gap between the outer edge of the flap and the inboard edge of the aileron that amounts to the space that would've normally been occupied by the longer aileron.  That gap is filled with sheet metal and is readily apparent in any underside view (mostly on drawings) of the Model 32. 

Also; all A6M3's (model 22, 22a and 32) were built by Mitsubishi.  That means no aotake in the wheel wells, blue-black cowl vs. semi-gloss black, Mitsubishi coloration on internal details (cockpit colors different than Nakajima built aircraft).  Ryan Toews did an article on the details of the Tamiya A6M5 kit, a lot of which would apply to an A6M3:  Notes on the Tamiya A6M5

Edited by Juggernut

55 minutes ago, Kagemusha said:

Well now, Berna have an A6M3 -22/33 sheet on the way, you can see the profiles of the three options here.

A few conversions herehere & here.

They released decals for a kit that doesn’t exist?   They must be optimistic that there are plenty of folks kitbashing these zeros.

Alas, I guess I won’t be one of them.   

Releasing a 1/32 decal sheet makes no sense for the A6m3 with one exception.  They have reason to believe one is coming.  Hasegawa have been giving the A6m series some attention, maybe they are going to do one.  I have seen a conversion whip on this site, but that is it.  No one else is doing a6m3 conversions.  While it was the least successful zero from what I can see it has the greatest diversity of markings.

18 hours ago, Jennings Heilig said:

Tamiya makes a stunning A6M3 Model 32 (or 22).....in 1/48 scale.

It's one of their new tooled 1/48 Zeros and is one hell of a nice little kit, with more parts/detail in the cockpit than your typical Hasegawa 1/32 scale kit.

121431-10911-pristine.jpg