Hobbyboss B-24: no turret fix in sight

nmayhew

On 2/25/2019 at 2:43 PM, Jan_G said:

Not sure if it was mentioned here already but on local modelforum.cz one fellow states that there will be replacment parts for turrets ditributed within the month from HB ditributors

https://www.modelforum.cz/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=105045&start=2250

Quote from his post (translated):

If anyone else is interested - especially those who have already bought or ordered the Liberator model - today, HB's response came to me that the new / corrected (?) turrets parts would begin to be dispatched within a month. And to distributor addresses for CZ....

if its true so we should get replacements at least for the frosted parts

jan

I filled this out over a month ago and have never received any response.  Has anyone else that asked for replacement turrets heard or gotten anything?

Greg

i got parts from Trumpeter support but they were just duplicates that I paid for (just wanted some spares)

i did ask but they made no mention of replacement / upgraded parts, but who knows?

My LHS has proactively informed me Greg that he will recieve new turrets from the chinese distributor, but they didn’t give him any exact deadline for it

jan

Does anyone know what the differences are, or what they are trying to correct in the  replacement turrets from the Chinese distributor? 

I wouldnt think they would correct anything other than the frosted parts that are supposed to be clear if I had to guess. 

4 hours ago, Jan_G said:

My LHS has proactively informed me Greg that he will recieve new turrets from the chinese distributor, but they didn’t give him any exact deadline for it

jan

Until I see some sort of statement from Hobbyboss, or indeed the correction in the flesh, I am inclined to be skeptical...but looking to be proven wrong ;)

3 hours ago, Out2gtcha said:

Does anyone know what the differences are, or what they are trying to correct in the  replacement turrets from the Chinese distributor? 

I wouldnt think they would correct anything other than the frosted parts that are supposed to be clear if I had to guess. 

I think the same Brian

and I will wait till there will be some serious AM replacements available

jan

Just now, Jan_G said:

I think the same Brian

and I will wait till there will be some serious AM replacements available

jan

Check the vendors forum, LSP user "109ace" has already come out with some replacement resin and vac turrets for the J model.

Be patient, there is already talk of clear resin turrets within the next two months, i cant tell you the source, but I have heard from two separate respectable sources that they will be announced in the next 30-60 days..

Edited by 1to1scale

Hi folks.  I am new to this forum.  My name is Bob.

I recently purchased the Hobby Boss B-24 and some aftermarket pieces (including TimW's Turrets bought on eBay as TR-6guy).  Tim makes a fine product and I look forward to using them when I build my kit. His work is really outstanding, and yet leaves room for the details a kit this large begs to be added.  Almost everything that has been brought up about this model, from the turret design to the poorly rendered engines will be able to be fixed with some aftermarket parts ( if and when they are supplied).  I myself have found and will learn to use the various "rivet making" tools that are currently on the market.  It is intuitively obvious, even to the most casual observer, that this kit is far behind what we see in the HKM Large Scale kits. Clearly this kit is a big seller and as such a demand for AM detail will be there.  I will watch with interest as other builders address and overcome the various problems this kit has and their solutions or work-arounds.  It isn't as if there aren't any photos of the B-24, and the scratch builders will have a large canvas on which to create.

That being said, my greatest concern is the poor airfoil profile at the wing root.  My feeling is that it would require a replacement piece (either Resin or injection molded) from the inboard nacelles to the wing root to correct this problem.  Not one who works with resin on my own, I don't know if it is possible to create the correction, or if it is even cost effective.

I hope someone is working the problem and will come up with a suitable solution.  Modelers are a clever bunch, and I am sure that within this community there are people with the skills to fix this error.  

Even with it's short comings, the HB B-24 is an impressive kit.  It is still relatively new, and there will be some lag time between it's issue and that of the AM parts makers, especially if Hobby Boss wasn't working with companies like Eduard prior to release.  I think this kit has much to offer to the experienced modeler whether they build it straight from the box, or replicate every switch, wire and rivet of the actual plane. Not all of us compete in National Level shows and events, but I believe each of us strives to make something as close to realistically accurate as we can.  

I look forward to the information and knowledge the rest of you provide...and will do the same as I progress.

Bob

37 minutes ago, MajorG said:

Hi folks.  I am new to this forum.  My name is Bob.

Welcome aboard, Bob!

:post1:

With regard to the wing issue on the B-24, the best I can do is point you to Iain's build, where he's endeavouring (rather successfully so far) to address the problem:

Kev

Hi Bob

welcome

sorrybifni misunderstood but what stuff are referring to re Tim’s turrets?

i found the eBay member but couldn’t see any items for sale

kind regards

nick