Are there any WNW kits you’d like to see reboxed?

Pup7309

10 hours ago, scvrobeson said:

W.29 definitely.

Biggest thing I'd like to see from WnW is updated engines. The sprues are going on a decade old now, and you can see a big difference between the brand new kits and the much older engines.

Matt 

I’d also like to see them update their losenge decals. The colours are improving and they have been kitting with fitted shapes for a while. Recently WNW reissued the LVG and Albatros kits but with the same losenge strips. 

Edited by Pup7309

15 hours ago, ringleheim said:

One thing I would add to the discussion is that I am not happy with WNW's decision to only provide a single set of markings for most of the re-released kits. 

If they are going to package the kits with only a single decal option, I wish they would also put original kit decals back in production when the re-release comes out.

Re-releasing decals has to be a rather straight forward affair; the artwork is done, just a question of asking Cartograf to bang out another production run.  

I wish they would do that for all of their decals to be honest.

It's silly IMO that some of the decals they offer are "sold out".  Not sure why they can't keep manufacturing them in smaller batches or whatever. 

True, agree. Otherwise you have to buy another kit...

19 hours ago, ringleheim said:

Re-releasing decals has to be a rather straight forward affair; the artwork is done, just a question of asking Cartograf to bang out another production run.  

I wish they would do that for all of their decals to be honest.

It's silly IMO that some of the decals they offer are "sold out".  Not sure why they can't keep manufacturing them in smaller batches or whatever. 

The printing is also quite a major part of the cost.  I was permitted once to see a run of decals being printed whilst visiting a printshop in SW UK.   It is a long,  labour-intensive process.  So it costs money - a lot of money, which the producer has to pay to the printer before they sell a single sheet.  So a decal sheet will usually only be re-released if it's reasonably certain to recoup the costs.

Agreed that decal runs are expensive, but I still wish they had done a bit more with these latest re-releases of models with figures. The Richthofen box was pretty good - several schemes plus a bonus set of decals for the Roden DrI out of left-field. The others not so much with just a small sheet in each for one scheme.

For Collishaw's boxing they could have easily included his early triplane as an option and even including markings for the rest of his "Black Flight" squadron would have been reasonable as a bonus given the markings are not all that elaborate or large. Or include his markings for the Sopwith Pup and Camels he flew as a bonus.

Not sure what additional could be done on the Hawker DH2 and Immelmann E.II for markings but even including the sheets from the previous releases of those kits would have been welcome (I dont recall those sheets as being overly large sheets either unlike what comes in some of their other fighter kits)

Edited by petrov27
added a bit

All of the kits should be reissued as supply and demand dictate.  That may mean some are reissued more often than others but sold out means that eventually they should reissue it.  WNW is in part about promoting the history of these planes, that means they should be available to purchase and build not become collectors items.

3 hours ago, MikeC said:

The printing is also quite a major part of the cost.  I was permitted once to see a run of decals being printed whilst visiting a printshop in SW UK.   It is a long,  labour-intensive process.  So it costs money - a lot of money, which the producer has to pay to the printer before they sell a single sheet.  So a decal sheet will usually only be re-released if it's reasonably certain to recoup the costs.

Sure, but it is presumed that the costs are incorporated into asking price with estimated number of sales in mind.  

WNW kits are fabulously expensive!  Which is probably a function of all their costs combined with relatively low sales.  I'm sure there is some price that would support a re-print of some of their aftermarket decal sets.

I'm thinking mostly of the Fokker D.VII and Albatros DV stuff; they were very popular and some of them sold out almost immediately.  I would think there is enough demand to support making some more.

Would love to see this one in particular brought back: it's by far the best DV sheet going IMO and it sold out immediately:

30016_Albatros%20D.Va%20The%20Bavarians%

I got most of the WNW kit's i wanted, with the Re.8 (all ready build) and the LVG C.VI on the most wanted list, and so i all ready have. I only wish, WNW stay's with there W.W.1 subjects instead of going to the W.W.2 bomber scene. For this sort of subjects there are other manufacturers all ready doing the same thing.

On 12/9/2018 at 10:02 AM, LSP_Ray said:

I thought they always planned on re-releasing the kits in special 'premium' editions with extra PE details and other goodies. What happened to that?

Maybe the ‘aces’  reboots are the beginning of future releases or a comprise for the original idea?

On 12/9/2018 at 2:13 AM, cbk57 said:

All of the kits should be reissued as supply and demand dictate.  That may mean some are reissued more often than others but sold out means that eventually they should reissue it.  WNW is in part about promoting the history of these planes, that means they should be available to purchase and build not become collectors items.

Yes they are priced as collectors items, but how much is a different box art and decal sheet worth long term? Does he intend to put the moulds in a vault or Museum one day? If they go out of production then the value goes up. But I can’t imagine that they would say Ok the market has been saturated and we are at the end of our planned releases. 

On 12/9/2018 at 9:51 AM, DannyVM said:

I got most of the WNW kit's i wanted, with the Re.8 (all ready build) and the LVG C.VI on the most wanted list, and so i all ready have. I only wish, WNW stay's with there W.W.1 subjects instead of going to the W.W.2 bomber scene. For this sort of subjects there are other manufacturers all ready doing the same thing.

I agree. But it is possible that the boss has a soft spot for the Lanc?

it is always possible to look at the WNW website, find the markings one wants for a particular plane, and put up a trade request. Each model comes with 5 sets of markings, so after a few builds, one has a respectable stash of WWI decals.

Off topic, but I'd really like to see WNW do some aviation pioneers: Wright Flyer, Spirit of St. Louis, Bleriot, and a few others.

OK, back on track... Some of the WNW decal sheets are gone, but again, use of the traders board my be the best option. Most guys are usually able to part with one set of markings.