WINGNUT WINGS LANCASTER!!!!!!!!!

seiran01

I know this has shifted some into brand loyalty, HK vs WNW.  I have looked at the sprue shots available for each.  If I were buying one without knowing the brand I would take the WNW looking at the sprue shots.  I like what I see there better.

HK is established enough that we know their models basically fit together reasonably well, so it is not like you can say they are bad.  I personally like what I am seeing better from WNW.  Also as a practical matter the WNW has a little smarter engineering from what I see.  On the HK kit the wing comes off at the wingroot, good for transportation but not great for alternate display.  With the WNW kit the wings come off outside the inboard engines.  You can display this on a large long shelf maybe with cradles for the outer wings then take it to a show or occasionally for someone to see add the outer wings.  

As a display piece the WNW looks like it will be a little more practicle to my eye.  I actually have a shelf at my office that I think one would fit if the shelf is long enough.  

I have been adamant in my disapproval of 1/32 4 engine bombers but the WNW kit actually makes me rethink that, in that the kit really grabs me.  There is no way I would buy the HK kit at any price as it does nothing for me.  It is not that the HK kit is bad, inaccurate or poor quality.  It looks great but for it’s size and cost it does not get my juices going.  

Odds are pretty descent I won’t buy either, but you never know if I see a WNW lancaster at a healthy discount down the road, I might click buy.

I just took another look at the WNW website, maybe this was noted before in the discussion I had not looked closely enough, they are including parts to do the Merlin XX and the Packard Merlin 28.  The cad shots show slightly different ancillary parts.  I am guessing the core engine parts are the same but not sure.  The fact that WNW would include alternate engine parts in this kit for two different manufacturers though is again a bit of.a stunner to me.  

The molding detail on the WNW kit though for me is just stunning.  I can’t say enough how much this draws me into this model.  There is no way I would build the HK kit over the WNW version.

I think WNW shows they were well aware of the HK kit as they went to the effort of posting dates on their website for their sprue test shots.  They are showing dates going back to July of 2017.

Edited by cbk57

25 minutes ago, Gerhard said:

Let's wait and see the pricing. I still have this gut feel the WnW kit is going to be a shocker of note, and by then you might not find any HKM ones. My 2c. Not  that I can afford either right now. 

There will always be plenty of these for sale in the foreseeable future.  A lot of these big kits will never be built for one, once they are sold to the people that must have three of them, most of those people will realize they need some cash and throw one or two back on the market.  On resale these will sell for less than purchase price, even the WNW versions.  If I buy it won’t be until I can get it well under retail.  WNW holds it’s value but even if it goes $500.00 I bet I will get one for $300 or less in time if I want to.

I suspect based upon what WNW has stated they will be at $300.00 to $350  even if it takes a long time to cover costs.  I think after the initial gold rush, they will resale for quite a while in the low 200s.  Maybe even slightly under that.  My bet is you will be able to buy regularly for $50 to 100 under retail once these have been on the market for 6 months to a year.

Edited by cbk57

26 minutes ago, cbk57 said:

There will always be plenty of these for sale in the foreseeable future.  A lot of these big kits will never be built for one, once they are sold to the people that must have three of them, most of those people will realize they need some cash and throw one or two back on the market.  On resale these will sell for less than purchase price, even the WNW versions.  If I buy it won’t be until I can get it well under retail.  WNW holds it’s value but even if it goes $500.00 I bet I will get one for $300 or less in time if I want to.

I suspect based upon what WNW has stated they will be at $300.00 to $350  even if it takes a long time to cover costs.  I think after the initial gold rush, they will resale for quite a while in the low 200s.  Maybe even slightly under that.  My bet is you will be able to buy regularly for $50 to 100 under retail once these have been on the market for 6 months to a year.

What have you been smoking or drinking?

48 minutes ago, DeanKB said:

What have you been smoking or drinking?

Coffee, maybe checking ebay too often.  Everything is for sale in the end.  There won’t be a shortage of these things.  If there should be a shortage.you can have mine.  I won’t be buying until there is a surplus and prices come down a bit.  I am confident supply will exceed deman over the next few years.  After these have been out 5 years, then their maybe some scarcity.  In the near term there will be plenty to go around.,

Edited by cbk57

I'm thinking the WnW Lanc will be a creature all to it's own as far as price point and availability.

I agree that the price may come down a bit at some point, but this will be unlike ANY WnW kit prior......it will be much more sought after than any other WnW kit and if I had to guess, the starting price point will be in the $350 - $500 range. 

I would hesitate to guess that the price wont drop that much due to the highly sought after and unique nature of this kit.

And after it reads "Sold Out" on the WnW site, that same price will SKYROCKET, and you won't see these kits 2nd hand for anything less than retail, and possibly a lot more.

58 minutes ago, Out2gtcha said:

I'm thinking the WnW Lanc will be a creature all to it's own as far as price point and availability.

I agree that the price may come down a bit at some point, but this will be unlike ANY WnW kit prior......it will be much more sought after than any other WnW kit and if I had to guess, the starting price point will be in the $350 - $500 range. 

I would hesitate to guess that the price wont drop that much due to the highly sought after and unique nature of this kit.

And after it reads "Sold Out" on the WnW site, that same price will SKYROCKET, and you won't see these kits 2nd hand for anything less than retail, and possibly a lot more.

I think they will be on the market and sell out slower than you think.  Outside of the enthusiasts on this website and in your IPMS chapter it is realistic that you would never meet someone that would even know this kit exists.   The size of the model and the price mean that the market is a magnitude slimmer than the Revell P-51 or the more expensive Tamiya P-51.  There may only be a few thousand people on the planet that want one of these and only a segment of that population will build one or more.  Much of the demand is going to be the narrow sliver of diehards who will buy more than two.  

I am confident that some one who as posted on this thread, within a year of release will be offering a great deal on one of these on the traders board on this very site.  If I am wrong my only risk is not getting one.  If they are so popular that you have to pay full price and they disappear fast, then too bad for me.  This is not Apple stock, it is a really big expensive model.  I don’t buy that there are many thousands of people on this planet that have to have a 1/32 Lancaster in their living room.  If you count wive’s in the decision making process I suspect the real world number of people that can get a away with a 1/32 Lancaster in a prominent place in their home is in the hundreds.

Edited by cbk57

3 hours ago, cbk57 said:

I just took another look at the WNW website, maybe this was noted before in the discussion I had not looked closely enough, they are including parts to do the Merlin XX and the Packard Merlin 28.  The cad shots show slightly different ancillary parts.  I am guessing the core engine parts are the same but not sure.  The fact that WNW would include alternate engine parts in this kit for two different manufacturers though is again a bit of.a stunner to me.  

The Merlin XX and 28 have a lot of visible differences when viewed from above, but you can get away with the same block and supercharger. It's mostly coolant piping and ignition wires.

29 minutes ago, cbk57 said:

I think they will be on the market and sell out slower than you think.  Outside of the enthusiasts on this website and in your IPMS chapter it is realistic that you would never meet someone that would even know this kit exists.   The size of the model and the price mean that the market is a magnitude slimmer than the Revell P-51 or the more expensive Tamiya P-51.  There may only be a few thousand people on the planet that want one of these and only a segment of that population will build one or more.  Much of the demand is going to be the narrow sliver of diehards who will buy more than two.  

I am confident that some one who as posted on this thread, within a year of release will be offering a great deal on one of these on the traders board on this very site.  If I am wrong my only risk is not getting one.  If they are so popular that you have to pay full price and they disappear fast, then too bad for me.  This is not Apple stock, it is a really big expensive model.  I don’t buy that there are many thousands of people on this planet that have to have a 1/32 Lancaster in their living room.  If you count wive’s in the decision making process I suspect the real world number of people that can get a away with a 1/32 Lancaster in a prominent place in their home is in the hundreds.

For all those that want one, I hope Im wrong!

It would go a ways to getting the kit into the hands of people who may not otherwise be able to afford one. 

Not sure why we spend so much time speculating on pricing for a kit that hasn't been released, but so be it. The price will be substantial (WNW kits aren't cheap), but you'll get value for money.

I don't recall ever hearing that a WNW kit was anything but fantastic, so I suspect this kit will be marvelous. Not my cup of tea (Brit reference deliberate), but I'm rejoicing for all the happiness this seems to be creating among my friends and colleagues here.

3 minutes ago, Bill Cross said:

Not my cup of tea (Brit reference deliberate), but I'm rejoicing for all the happiness this seems to be creating among my friends and colleagues here.

Mine either thankfully, as if it was my C.O.T., my poor wallet would be crying for mercy!  

45 minutes ago, Out2gtcha said:

For all those that want one, I hope Im wrong!

It would go a ways to getting the kit into the hands of people who may not otherwise be able to afford one. 

I think there will be more than enough to go around, however no matter the price their will be complainers as the price even at discount will be high.  There are a lot of modelers that buy the Revell Mustang because the Tamiya kit is just too much money.  Their heads will explode at the thought of this Lancaster.  

When I can get a good deal I might get one.  Good deal is relative but I am not so overwrought that i am going to pay retail.  There are plenty of deals on WNW kits, a Forum member just offered an out of production Albatros for $80.00.  He was well under going auction prices and he had a hard time finding a buyer.  I really am not worried about my chances of getting a WNW Lancaster.  The quality of the kit is such that I might buy one on that basis.  That is why I bought the Tamiya Mk IX Spitfire, not because I had a great passion about the MK IX.  

Edited by cbk57